Using my sisters upgrade to buy iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Jun 22, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I have a question and it is serious! I don't want to ask an att rep or an apple rep because i would hate for them to flag my account. Anyways i am not eligible for an iPhone until 3/10/10 but my sister is eligible for an upgrade now, so if she were to buy the iPhone 3GS and i give her my iPhone 3G and we just swapped sims would both of our phones still work and the thing im most interested in is would i still be eligible for an upgrade next year even though my sister and i switched phones? Would they be able to tell? And would the iPhone 3GS restore from a 3G back up?! Thank you!

2. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Your sister can use her upgrade and you can swap SIMs, it won't flag your account or make you lose your upgrade on 3/10/2010.

3. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I confirm, I did this with my mothers upgrade for the 3gs and the apple store didnt mind it one bit. They switched the sims and everything for me.

5. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Can someone clarify this for me. My father is with AT&T and is out of contract so he would qualify for the low 3GS pricing. What options do I have? He currently has a cheap phone no data and has no desire to use dat or get an iPhone. I just want to take advantage of his upgrade pricing. Would it be worth it, maybe resell it. I'm already with the 3gs by the way.

6. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

OP, you wouldnt get the $199/299 price unless your sister already has data, otherwise you would have data on both.

7. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

what do you mean by this? she plans on getting data and paying for it along with getting the 3GS to give to me. We are on a family talk plan and share everything so the only thing that would be added is the data

8. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Did this very thing TWICE on Saturday.

Upgrade Mom and Mom In Law's phones to 3GS

Swaped SIMS with me and wife.

Now me and wife have 3GS and mom's have 3G.

9. mrmike316 macrumors regular

dont woory (thisisarcadia) they wont make you get data plans on both search the , upgrade/swap posts

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yes, but you might have to sync a few times to get everything right.

After a restore, I was missing some apps, including the Settings app. (It was there in Spotlight Search, but not the icon.)

But after the restore, do a few syncs and it should be good to go.

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, you will be required to have a valid iPhone data plan on both iPhones. :eek:

The only case where doing an Upgrade Swap that you would not be required to have an iPhone data plan would be where the other person is not going to end up with an iPhone.

Dave

12. neilp4453 macrumors regular

I plan on doing this with both of my parents' lines this week. I called my local ATT store and the guy said I can do it.

But I want to get two 3GS....one to sell....one to keep. Then sell my existing 3G.

13. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Do they have DATA plans already, if not what are you going to do with their data plans when you sell the one?