Using My Voice To "Type" Text In An App - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by boltjames, Oct 30, 2015.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

So if I am, say, in the YouTube app and I want to search for something and the focus is in the text box, is it correct that I cannot use my voice to dictate through the remote to type in the lengthy string of text for me?

Am I missing something?

With the old Apple TV and the iPhone Remote app, I could simply speak a full sentence and the Apple TV would "type" the text in the search box. Are you telling me that I now have a dedicated remote with a built-in microphone and it can't do this? And I have to type search text in on this remote using this one-line scrolling and tapping thing?

Tell me this isn't true.

BJ

2. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

Its true for now, but I'd expect the iOS remote App to be updated any day now...

3. distemp macrumors regular

You'd think it would work given that Siri can do dictation but Apple seems to have skipped some key features that should be in there already.

4. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

They clearly released the os prematurely, but its kind of okay as they'll keep working on it and it'll probably be up to scratch in a few months

5. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Wow, just wow.

So the promise of using "voice" for everything and Siri implementation basically took away a critical feature.

And the new single-row keyboard blows.

BJ

6. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

I believe I just read that the newest tvOS update has Dictation for Apple TV (finally).

Is this true? If so, can any of you running the beta chime in and let us know if it works within apps like YouTube?

Thanks!

BJ

7. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I haven't tried the beta, but I believe that dictation is universal. In any case, it should be coming to us pretty soon.

8. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

9. ohio.emt, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/08/new-features-in-tvos-9-2-beta-3/

Only has a short vid, showing it in use in the movies search box. Haven't seen a video yet of it being used inside an app.