Using My Wife's Upgrade At Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XLR8, Jun 16, 2010.

1. XLR8 macrumors regular

Help a guy out. I tried most of the day yesterday and could never get a phone ordered. I just need to get this out of the way as I have other things I need to do. The 14th of July is fine for delivery.

I'd like to use my wife's upgrade at the Apple store. However as you know, I have to type in her number to begin the eligibility process. I chatted with an Apple rep who told me the iPhone will come ready to be activated but will only work with her number and not allow me to transfer mine from my current phone. Is this true?

One more. I have a FAN. The Apple website doesn't reflect the FAN pricing but I am assuming it will be cool once the info makes it to AT&T and the FAN pricing will be applied correctly?

2. mb2008 macrumors regular

if you buy at the Apple store, you generally must upgrade the eligible line, and then go to an ATT store to make the switch....so they can charge you the $18 dollars.

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm in the same boat. I've called several times & continue to get different answers. I called AT&T twice. One said said she didn't even know the phone was going to be using a microsim until a customer told her, & another said I would have to buy a new sim. I called Apple twice. One said AT&T would have to deal with it, & another said they do all of it when I pick up the phone. *Sigh* Wish we could get a definite answer.

I think we'll have to end up going to AT&T after we pick up our phones at the Apple store. It's another hour of waiting, but meh, don't really care as long as I will be able to use my phone by the end of the day.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm doing an upgrade swap on my moms line. The manager told me as soon as I receive the phone, bring it down to them and they can change everything over to the microSIM on my account, and revert my moms account back to normal. My confirmation email also states:
    The AT&T rep that I bought it from gave me her card with her number and told me to just call and she can do it from there, but we'll see what happens i guess.

5. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome guys. Thank you!

And this would not be the case ordering from AT&T's site correct? The rep at AT&T told me I could just activate it normally in iTunes. Sorry for the question, this is a first time for me.

6. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I'm using my wives upgrade so what I did is order it from the AT&T store.
    When it comes in I will bring my current phone down, a 3GS, and swap it with the new phone. Because of the microsim they will have to do the swap in the store as far as I know.
    Believe me I really don't want to go down there on Thursday but it was the only way to do it.

7. rmastbro macrumors member

I was in the same boat as you ...

I can't get a discount for the iPhone 4 until Dec 2010 ($699 now or $499 after Dec).

For some reason when I tried to order a iPhone from Apple Store online for a "non-iPhone line" that was eligible for an upgrade, it would not let me ship it to my house and only gave me the option to reverse the phone at the Apple store.

If I purchase the phone at my local Apple store, I was told I HAD to activate the phone number to the phone that I am going to upgrade (no "upgrade swaps" allowed in the store). They won't even let me leave the store without activating it. This would cause a complicated mess putting the upgraded phone number on the iPhone and would have to deal with AT&T and get another micro-sim card.

With all the issues at AT&T stores I rather avoid them and only deal with Apple online or my local store.

That left me 2 options, buy it at the Apple online for the non-commitment price of $699 or take my chances if I could find one at the AT&T store and buy it for $499 using the "upgrade swap" using another line on my account.

I really did not want to do it :mad: but I ended up buying it for $699 which will not extent my contract and then have the option to also upgrade again next year getting maximum update discount.

Since I also sold my iPhone 3GS 32GS for $475 it made the decision a bit easier. :D

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Thats what the AT&T rep told me, the manager said if I needed to, bring it down to them and they can take care of it.

I'm going to try to do it via iTunes first, if not, I'll call the AT&T rep who gave me her number to fix the accounts with. I guess if those two fail ill bring it to them. The AT&T store by my isnt that active (pre-ordered first in line when they opened, there was about 6 people in the store when I left, the most I've ever seen at once in there).

9. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

So many conflicting statements. I wish they'd train all of the Apple & AT&T employees with the same material.

I'm going to hope & pray they let me take it out of the store without activating it. I heard some people didn't open their iPads before leaving the Apple store. If they will let me leave without activating, I'm going to book it to the AT&T store in hopes of finding someone who can get **** done for me.

10. virx macrumors member

You can always swap sim cards if you are ok with cutting full sim card to mini and get an adapter for a few $ - you can find a template to cut in iPad hacks forum...

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, but the manager also stated if needed so they could give me a blank mSIM card free so, I dont see the reason to.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd advise you find out from your retailer first.

12. kujayhawk macrumors newbie

going to an AT&T store sounds like the best bet, but does anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to when I live in nowhere kansas and am 3 hours from an AT&T store?

13. johnhirsch macrumors newbie

Would be great if you could just restore from a backup of your own phone in iTunes. Not really sure why this wouldn't be possible.

14. alrivera058 macrumors newbie

Store

You can drive to the Apple Store in Leawood or in the Plaza in Kansas City. I see you are from Lawrence. I used to live there, it is only about an hour and a half drive to KC and one hour to Leawood.

15. kujayhawk macrumors newbie

I live in Lawrence but I am in sw Kansas for the next month helping my parents harvest. Which makes kc 7 hours away. I have a sister in Kansas city who is going to take care of everything. thank you though!

16. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

17. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Do you know if the Apple employee will call AT&T for me before he activates it?

18. klitorisaurus macrumors member

This is what I did at the 3G launch. It put my wife's phone out of service for a while, so make sure she's not doing anything important haha!

19. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

You call AT&T.

It shouldn't be too crazy by the time my phone arrives AT THE END OF JULY! :D