using my yahoo/msn accounts with Mail,how?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XheartcoreboyX, Aug 20, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

so Mail seems to be a good app..i know i can use it with my yahoo and msn mail so i can read and send email through it/much faster/..but how??
    i did file>account thing but then i dont know what to type in the spaces..would someone help me with it?? remember im such a noob in these stuff :mad:

2. pengu macrumors 6502a

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

thanks for your response =),
    i actually tried to install the plugine..extracted the (.gz) folder and got an .dmg file..clicked on it but nothing happenes!

about the yahoo mail thing..i chose(pop) then filled all the spaces and it was trying to connect to the server..and i got an error(pic attached)..any solutions?

Attached Files:

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have had this problem with msn for sooo long. httpmail doesnt work for me. im not sure what outgoing and incoming server to use.

there are other threads on this aswell btw.

5. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

ok forget the msn part..
    how to let it work with yahoo?? what incoming/outgoing servers to enter? bet you know:rolleyes:

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

account type = POP
    Description = Yahoo Email
    email address = (email address here)
    full name = (your name as it will appear to others)
    incoming mail server = smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    username = your email address
    password = your password

outgoing server should fix itseslf up..

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

POP access for Yahoo is not free. You need to pay for "Mail Plus", which includes, among other things, POP/SMTP access.

If you pay for that service, then the following settings will work:
    incoming mail server: pop.mail.yahoo.com with or without Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), authentication: Password. If SSL is off, use port 110, if SSL is on, use port 995 (both are the defaults.)
    outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com use Authentication, (SSL can be on or off, doesn't matter. If your internet provider blocks port 25, you can use port 465 instead, wether SSL is on or off.)
    Use your yahoo ID as the user name (meaning don't add @yahoo.com) and your password as the password in all cases.

Note again, if you are not a Mail Plus paid customer, their POP server will say that your user name or password are not valid.

Hotmail does not officially provide POP service at all, even for extra money. The only way to get Hotmail access through a desktop mail app is if it has Hotmail support, which, as you have found out, doesn't always work. (Microsoft changes the settings every so often to make it harder to figure out.)

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do u have any idea what i can use for the outgoing server?? everything else connects, its trying to go thru smtp but i dont think it has that?? :confused:

9. KT322 macrumors newbie

incoming (POP): pop.mail.yahoo.com (non-ssl: port 110, ssl: 995)
    outgoing (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com (non-ssl:25 or 587, ssl: 465)

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ggrrr im fed up with this crap. this is my 3rd attempt thats been over an hour trying to figure it out. retarded thing

11. scokim macrumors regular

My outgoing server is services.msn.com
    and incoming is hotmail.com.

Works very well for me and can even synchronise with hotmail.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats exactly what i have. must be my ISP. bloody telstra!!!
    uuumm can i ask which port your using, and if you have authetication on?

for any other people: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-36321.html

13. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Huh? Yahoo POP3 works for me and I only have a standard yahoo account that I've had for years. And yes, I am using the same settings as you, I think I stumbled across an option on Yahoo to activate POP3 and I did. I hope Yahoo aren't going to charge me Mail Plus rates! Gmail is a lot less hassle to set up in a Mail client and they keep copies of your mail on their servers as well (something that Yahoo don't do!).

14. scokim macrumors regular

port 25 outgoing. no authentication.

on the advanced tab, the httpmail URL is http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

i'm on iinet.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

16. scokim macrumors regular

it works everywhere i go, even behind university's firewall, because it goes through the http tunnel, so i don't think it's telstra's.

17. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

:eek: Chill out man, I've always had problems with hotmail, either too much spam or too much hassle with POP3. I think I gave up with hotmail after a while.

18. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

it still gave me the same error i posted in the earlier post. =\

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry, its been a looong day. ive been getting a lil aggitated lately. ahwell, somethings arent meant to be.

20. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Maybe I should have said "think about it, hotmail is fxxing microsoft again. What do you expect, an easy ride?" I wish I could get it working too but I never managed to.

At the moment I am using Thunderbird for my email client and it seems to do the job. I recall I had to use a plugin for Yahoo mail though. If you sign into yahoo mail and click mail options on their website, you can access POP3 settings and get all the port numbers you need to set it up. I know this because I have just tried it.

21. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I use Telstra whenever I am in Australia and they always want you to use their SMTP server, same when I am in HK, have to use their server, not the .Mac one I have been given.

Try: smtp.bigpond.net.au or mail.bigpond.com

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok one last annoyance from me. i DL'd thunderbird (thanks so much for recommending that aswell) but it cant conenct to the server. i was just wondering what incomming/outgoing server to use.
    mines currently incoming: hotmail.com
    outgoing services.msn.com

thanking you in advance

hhmm no luck with those two, i can get the 2nd one to connect successfully, but it wont grab the emails because...i donno..