Using MyWi and Xoom

Jumpie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
First, sorry if this has already been asked. And yes, I did search and didn't find an answer.

So, is there a way to use MyWi and tether to the Xoom? I've found other places on the net with directions but can't get it to work. Has anyone been successful?

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
First, sorry if this has already been asked. And yes, I did search and didn't find an answer.

So, is there a way to use MyWi and tether to the Xoom? I've found other places on the net with directions but can't get it to work. Has anyone been successful?
I don't have a Xoom to test with but there is no reason that the Wifi tethering option should not work.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
The only reason would be if the xoom refused to connect to adhoc wireless.

Edit

From a quick google search, it looks like this might be the case and you won't be able to use MyWi to tether. All the more reason to use tetherme

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Pretty much what Ulbador said above.
Many devices like the PS3, Xbox and others wont connect to a wifi adhoc network and they need a true hotspot instead.
After 4.3 is out and JB you will have more options such as MyWi, TetherMe and probably many commcenter patches to allow native tethering.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Android devices are all over the place in terms of their support for ad hoc connections. Some support it and some require major kernel hacks to do it.

But at least it's open, right? :p

It's quite convenient that all idevices support it.