Using MyWi to use Wifi-only apps?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jlmitnick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I've seen in several places that you can use MyWi to allow you to do things that are otherwise wifi-only (such as downloading a 20meg+ app on the app store). However, I tried turning on my wifi from MyWi and the little icon in my upper left is still a 3G and I still can't do things that are wifi-only.

Is there a way to do this with just MyWi, or do I need to look into one of the several other apps like 3G Unrestrictor, or My3G or whatever it's called? (And if so, which one of these is the best/cheapest)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3G Unrestrictor ($3.99) or My3G ($3.99) will do the trick. MyWi is just for tethering and creating a wifi hot spot.

3. jlmitnick thread starter macrumors regular

Eh, that's what I thought, but I feel like I've seen people say that when MyWi creates the hotspot you can somehow use that to make your phone think it's on wifi for the purposes of wifi-only apps.

Oh well.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    You can't create a wifi and connect to your own mywi hotspot.
    It will work if you connect to someone elses mywi connection but you will need another iPhone to do that.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I don't have MyWi, but wouldn't using it effectively trick your phone into thinking it's on WiFi for all apps?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, not even close.
    I don't know why people think that.

7. himni macrumors regular

Even if you could use MyWi to trick the phone it would just run your battery down super quick. Just spend the 3.99 on My3G or 3Gunrestrictor I have both and they are great.

8. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

+1.

MyWi is to let other devices connect to your iPhone to use the network. Like others have stated before, get 3G Unrestrictor or My3G, both are great. I use 3G Unrestrictor and it works flawlessly when I want to FaceTime over 3G.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

nope, it doesn't work for that... You need 3G Unrestrictor or My3G

10. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be negative, but why would you comment on an app when you've never used it and have no idea what it does?! :confused:

11. ulbador, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Ha, I have used it in trial before and I know exactly what it does.

The only reason I made the comment in the first place, because it seemed to me that it would turn on the WiFi chip, which could potentially trick the whole phone into thinking it is on WiFi.

It is not such a HUGE stretch of the imagination to think that this could be a potential positive side effect of using MyWi.

It was more of a conjecture and question than anything else (it even had a question mark next to it), one which is clearly wrong. Hell, had I not already used up the 4 day trial on this device, I just would have downloaded it and tested it out.

I'm sorry I even asked the question.

12. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Sorry my response was harsh. I can see your thought process now. Please accept my apologies. :)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No big deal.:)
    Alot of people think MyWi accomplishes what My3G does but they're different and both very good packages.