Using NAS with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by browerjs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. browerjs macrumors member

So I plan on getting my first Mac when the new MBPs are announced. Currently I have a PC laptop and PC Desktop. The PC Desktop will stay in use while the PC laptop will go to the electronics graveyard.

Anyways, I currently have all my pictures/music/movies stored on a 6TB Netgear ReadyNAS. Anything that is put any of these shares on the NAS is incremently backed up nightly to a USB HDD share that is connected to the Desktop PC. This is then backed up to the cloud (CrashPlan+).

(Possibly a little bit of overkill, but I protect my self from entire NAS failure and disaster.)

So my first question is do I have to change anything on the NAS to access the shares from the new Mac (it's currently setup using CIFS, but there is an option for AFP).

Second question - I know my NAS supports TimeMachine. Would this basically just backup my entire Mac on a nightly basis to the NAS? Are timemachine backups single files that I could also save to the USB drive and CrashPlan+?

Third question - I currently have my iTunes library stored on the NAS so both my laptop and desktop can access it. However I've found that on the laptop (Vista) with wireless syncing my iPad is extremely slow. Because of this I'm contemplating moving the iTunes libraryto the Mac (since I never need it on the desktop anyways). However, if I do this, I'd still want all mp3s movies to be backed up (preferably automatically) to the NAS. So by just moving to a Mac am I going to see increased sync performance over wifi? I don't put any pictures in iTunes (nor do I really want to),

2. browerjs thread starter macrumors member

3. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

u should not have to as it converts over throught the networking protocols as i had a linux machine setup for a while being a media server that the drives were in ext4 file format and my windows and mac machines were able to read the drives

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try both. AFP seems to work better for my NAS & MBP.

AFP and CIFS are network protocols. EXT4 is not.

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i know that as the network protocols and the router take care of the file system transfer as u cna through a network share ntfs and hf+ throught the network and not have problems