Using Navicat to access Oracle on VM Fusion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mork, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mork macrumors 6502

Is it possible to use Navicat Premium database tool, which does support Oracle, to access/manipulate Oracle (on the Mac side where Navicat is installed) to an Oracle XE installation on a VM Fusion Windows XP/Pro installation?

In other words.... Navicat is installed on the Mac. Oracle XE is installed on VM Fusion Windows XP Pro ... on the same machine. So my question is how can I manipulate Oracle XE on VM Fusion from the Mac side where Navicat is installed?

Since there's currently no 11g "XE" version of Oracle and the mac 10g version is such a bear to set up, I'm hoping it's possible to access the VM Fusion install (with Windows) from the Mac side.

Any suggestions how to do this?

Thanks.

-- M

2. peetah macrumors member

I don't see why you can't access the DB using Navicat.

Time to do a small experiment here.

3. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

4. peetah macrumors member

I just tried it..... It works!

You will need to make an exception in the windows firewall to allow connections to the SQL*Net port (preferred) or just turn off the firewall to allow all connections.

What Navicat doesn't tell you upfront is that you need to install the Oracle Instant Client. This link will give you instructions on where to get it and how to install it. http://wiki.navicat.com/wiki/index.php/Instant_client_required

You must setup DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in Navicat's preferences (see Environments) to tell it where the instant client is located. However TNS_NAMES and ORACLE_HOME is not required.

Good luck!

5. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

It was really simple for me too.

All I had to do was install Oracle XE on Windows (VM Fusion on the Mac) and create a connection using SQL Developer using the IP address of the VM Fusion machine (gotten by typing ipconfig at a command prompt on the XP Pro session).

I did create a "test" database (user) on Oracle so I could make sure I was accessing something I just created, but after I got the syntax for the remote connection right (3 tries or so), it worked right away.

You're right, it was a snap!

Thanks very much for your help on this! :)

-- M

6. peetah macrumors member

If you haven't done so, you'll want to assign the Windows VM an IP address of your choosing otherwise the connection inside Navicat will croak when the Windows VM is given a new IP address.