iPad Using new iPad Air now have tough time looking at my iPhone 5 screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wicked1, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok so now been using my new iPad Air and after hours of use I am having a hard time using my iPhone 5 because the screen is so nice on the iPad. anyone else feel the same

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I felt the same way for the first couple of days. My iPhone 5s seemed so small, so..weird..after I bought my iPad Air.

After about 2 days, that feeling went away and they both feel really good and perfectly normal.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the iPhone 5/5S have really clear sharp screens that are easy to read, FOR THEIR SIZE. Of course the Air is so much easier to read because it's bigger, but since I switched to the 5, I've been reading a lot more on it than I did on earlier iPhones and iPod touches. If I'm sitting at home, I definitely go for my iPad, but when I'm sitting on a train or bus, I sometimes find myself pulling out the iPhone now, whereas before I got the 5, I always used to go for my iPad when sitting in public transport.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

A buddy at work feels the same way. He watched The Victoria Secret's Runway Model show on BRAVO and now has difficulty looking at his own wife.

5. Adonys macrumors regular

Bahahaha!!! you owe me a keyboard :D

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I've never owned a smart phone because of the incredibly puny screen. Useless to me. Can't believe what people do on their phones. Anyways, yeah, the Air screen next to an iPhone is like a 100" plasma TV next to a 19" CRT monitor.

:D

7. iPodJedi, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

believe it or not, the iPhone and retina iPad mini both have a nicer screen than the iPad Air. The iphone and iPad mini have 326 ppi and the iPad Air has only 264 ppi.

----------

but yes i understand it is nice to use a larger screen every once in a while and it has a bit less strain on your eyes.

----------

I love using my iPad mini 1 even though the screen isn't as high of quality of a screen as my iphone. It is nice to look at a large screen especially for long lengths of time.

8. loybond macrumors regular

Sigh, don't fall prey to marketing. They want you to believe that differences can always be quantified by a simple number to compare. Pixel density is not the measure of what makes a particular screen better than another.

If you take ppi to mean sharpness/resolution, it's fourth on the list of what constitutes good image quality. It's preceded by contrast, colour saturation and and colour accuracy.

The iPad Air screen beats the iphone in the areas that matter more.

9. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

You could say that but color quality and accuracy is opinion based therefore anyone can say one looks better than the other. Say you look at a picture of the sunset on the iPad mini and ipad air, one of the pictures (say on the air) could be brighter but maybe the iPad mini has a darker tint, anyone can say which looks better-it is opinion. But you will have better picture quality (in pixels) with the something with more pixels- it is fact!

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I remember having that feeling, but now after going between the mini, a full sized ipad and an iphone im used to it. Actually going from the mini to the full sized still feels weird with all that room.

11. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

Stop spreading misinformation. Accuracy and quality can be readily measured. Have you ever heard of colour calibration and srgb and adobe rgb gamut?

Only thing Opinion based is what people perceive as pleasing colour. Eg some people like over saturated colour for example in Samsung screens. But accuracy and quality can easily be checked and measured.

12. AppleRobert, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

AppleRobert macrumors 603

Perfectly normal because one is a smartphone and the other is a tablet. Perhaps a phablet comparison is more feasible.

I do not get the point of this thread. Gravity on my HDTV makes the picture on my Air look puny and less enjoyable to watch.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you speaking about dimensions ? Because iPhone 5 screen has 326 PPI while the iPad Air has 264 PPI, so technically everything should be better on the iPhone ...

----------

Not true.
    Both are very good in contrast, saturation and accuracy ... Maybe the iPhone is slightly better than the Air in that aspect.
    And PPI counts more than resolution on a display.

iPad Air's pixel density is fine, but not spectacular.
    iPhone's pixel density is no more the best on the market but still is above the 300 PPI mark, so it's very good indeed.

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

It's not marketing at all in this case. I can easily see the sharpness difference between my iPhone 5s and my iPad Air - most obviously when it comes to text. The iPhone 5s is noticeably sharper. As far as the "other factors" go, I don't think the iPad Air display is any better than the iPhone 5/5s display. If anything it's worse, since the latter iPhones don't suffer from color casts on half the screen as much as the larger iPads do.

15. Caesars macrumors regular

I could barely use my iPhone after I got my air, that's ok tho since I have a note also (which I'm in love with xP).

16. iPodJedi, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

The retina iPad mini has better PPI which definitely does help make a screen much better in quality. The iPad Air and rmini have relatively identical screens with about the same contrast, saturation and whatever else has been mentioned above- of course their is the difference of the PPI of 326 on the mini and 264 on the iPad Air.

Don't get why you guys have to try prove me wrong- I haven't stated anything but what is pretty much all proven, especially what I had in my first post.

17. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? I never said anything about ppi. You said color accuracy is opinion based, I corrected it by saying color accuracy is not opinion based and can be measured easily.

18. iPodJedi, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Sorry, I accidentally quoted you for the wrong thing, the quote above is what I meant (the quote by Ioybond)

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Sure, and serious websites like anandtech are doing that on every review

20. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Lol great one!

21. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Wow no I love my iPhone 5 but the iPad Air is easier to read as I get older but I love both. The iPad is easier to read BC's screen is bigger nothing more

22. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The mini and Air have different PPI because the Air is held further from the face than the mini.

It's not as much marketing as it is practical science.

The image size is larger on the Air. If the image size were the same as the mini, then it would be considered inferior.

23. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

oooo…ouch!

24. Nipommu macrumors regular

sucks huh. this is what i do now; when i come home i don't even pick up my iphone unless to communicate and instead use my ipad. when im out i use my iphone. i came to a personal conclusion that iphone and ipad serve me inside my home vs outside of my home. but there was a day when i didn't have an ipad yet and most consumption of media was done through iphone on the bed or lying in a couch. wonder how i did that for hours

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That's not the REASON, it's just a consequence ...
    The reason is more simple: the Air and the Mini share the same resolution ,but the Air has a bigger screen so pixel density is lower.