Using new iPad as camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caspersoong, Mar 14, 2012.

1. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

Hi, I am a Malaysian and just pre-ordered the new iPad on the Singapore Online Apple Store because I study there. However, I pre-ordered late and will only get it on the 3rd of April. I heard many people saying that using the iPad as a camera is awkward. Do you think this will reverse with the new iPad? I want to take pictures of lecture slides using the new iPad so that I can view the photos easily on a huge screen instead of struggling with my tiny iPod touch screen on the bus, MRT, etc. which is lagging with the A4 chip anyway. What do you think about the prospects of photography on the new iPad? Thanks!

2. Papillo macrumors member

it looks very awkward holding a big a$$$ slate in front to take a pic. I saw someone do it on my last vacation and they looked ridiculous. Why cant you take photos on your ipod touch and transfer the pics to your Ipad?

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Great to have as a last resort, but I can't envision a scenario where I would choose it over my iPhone.

Everyone uses devices different though, so don't let popular opinion dictate how you should use yours. Try it and see if you like it.

4. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for prompt reply. I don't have any other camera and my iPod touch camera has a .7 MP camera besides. Do you think that with the better camera in the new iPad, this behaviour of using the iPad to take photos would be more mainstream and look less awkward?

----------

Thanks for the insightful reply. Really appreciate it.

5. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

I can think of a TON of situations where you might want to use the iPads camera.

You're using it in a park, on the beach, in your backyard...as we normally might etc etc etc.

You want to take a pic or record some HD vids of your kids, friends, pets....you name it. Cell phone is in the house or the car or pocket. Plus, if it's not awkward, why wouldn't you want to take a pic or vid with it? Straight to the retina display is a huge bonus....no transfers needed.

As Josh in his Verge review said.... walking around the city using it as just a camera is idiotic. Just think of all the times your on your iPad and something happens where you want to take a pic or record a short vid. Boom. Problem solved.

The camera and vid capabilities will be well used by me and my family & friends.

6. MR1324, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

MR1324 macrumors 6502

if you have an ipad, you PROBABLY have an iphone, maybe a 4 or 4S. it's much easier and quicker to take a picture from your iphone. with icloud photostream, you will see the pictures on your ipad and edit them right away. taking pictures with the ipad is just dumb IMO. they should have upgraded the front facing camera instead for facetime.

i just read that you only have your ipod touch camera. in that case, i can see why you would HAVE to use your new ipad for taking pictures since the camera is better.

[​IMG]

7. ihatephish macrumors regular

I'm not one to be picky, but your post is somewhat contradictory.

are parks and beaches not as public as "walking around the city"?

I will never forget being on top of Glacier Pointe in Yosemite NP last summer and laughing at the several people I saw taking pictures with their iPad 2. I had an iPad 2 w me, but there was no way I was going to take pictures with it.

I know the new iPad has a better camera, but it's still relatively crappy.

That said, I imagine it'd be fine for the OP's needs.

8. irDigital0l Guest

not unless you want to look retarded.

dont take it offensive but imagine seeing someone next to you taking an iPad out and taking photos. It literally covers the whole face.

Its pretty awkward.

That being said if you just happened to have your ipad with you and needed to take a quick pic that should be fine.

9. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

10. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Geez it sounds like people think to take a photo with the iPad you hold it up to your eye like an actual camera and have this thing blocking your whole face and you go around walking into things.

For some quicks snaps whats the big deal, taking a picture with the iPad looks a whole lot like using the iPad. Wouldn't be that hard to discretely angle the iPad towards a lecture slide. What, holding it at a 90 degree angle rather than 45?

Obviously if you are out about town carefully lining up dozens of photos I would never use the iPad, but at that point the form factor becomes too cumbersome to actually use comfortably regardless of how you look.

11. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I have a reason... iPod Touch has a horrible camera. You cannot take a respectable pic with that device.

12. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that reply. Really made my day.
    Thanks everyone for all your insightful comments. I think I will just use the camera for some lecture slides (so convenient to read them later on the bus around Singapore) and several other random photographs around Singapore to iMessage to my brothers and parents (while no one is looking). I agree that rare use should be fine, not continual serious photography (which you can't do anyway on an iPad as its quality is not that good). I really appreciate all the time you guys put in to answer my question. Thanks and God bless!