Using New Macbook as Main, selling iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Andrew K., Jan 16, 2009.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

SO I was wondering this, I have a new alu macbook 2.4gHz and a year old iMac 20" 2.0 with 1gb of ram, I am using the macbook alot more so I was thinking of selling the iMac and just buy a 24" display, I am going into graphic design ( I already have CS3 on my macbook) so I think a big matte display would be better than the new Expensive apple display, what do you guys think? Keep both or sell the iMac and get a display? here is a pic of the display with a screenshot of my desktop

[​IMG]

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

If you're using your computer to make money, then having two computers is better than having one because you're protected against failure. No client wants to hear that he/she isn't getting their work on time because your computer failed and you don't have a backup. Kiss that client goodbye. Also, never buy in anticipation of a need. Wait until you actually have the need before buying. Many anticipated needs never materialize.

3. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

If you want to go that route I'd get something better than a cheap TN display, since you are using it for graphic design. The HP LP2475w and NEC LCD2490WUXi displays are both H-IPS, which is the same panel Apple uses in the 24" iMac and 24" LED, though the new LED backlit one uses a newer version of that panel. The HP sells for around $600 new and the NEC $1,100. The NEC will be better than the HP and you can get it refurbished for $600. But if you do that then you will only have a 90 day warranty versus the 4 year you would get with a new one. As far as the glossy on the Apple 24", I don't think that is an issue. It will still be a much better display than anything non IPS would be.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...270-444767-3648442.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

4. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

WOW great info! Thank You very much I was thinking about getting the NEW cinema Display also ( But id have no money left over ) Ill surely check out the HP and NEC, Thanx again!

5. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Personally, I like to keep one computer, but this is a personal matter. I can't handle syncing and worry about two machines; too much hassle. You can always put a 500 gb on the Macbook. I'm running a 24 inch dell on my Macbook, but I personally find the screen is great and work mostly directly on the Macbook. Selling the iMac is probably wise. If nothing else the iMac is about to be updated and it will be worth less when that happens.

6. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

I agree, keeping two computers in synch sucks when working. I ditched my iMac and moved to a MacBook for the following reasons:

• A 2.0 GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM spanked my G5 2.0 GHz iMac
    • The MacBook is ultra portable, which I love
    • I used to want a big monitor, but anymore I don't care

As a designer, I'd highly suggest backing your work up to external hard drives, regardless of the type of computer you own. Why spend the money for another computer when you can spend much less for external backup? Do people honestly idealize having a backup computer loaded with design software, waiting in the wings for your main computer to go down?

I'd suggest selling the iMac and using the cash to get an external monitor, if you want the screen space, and buying external storage.

Remember though, throwing money at a hot computer with a top of the line monitor is really nice...but the ingredients for an excellent designer is talent, skill, and experience. The computer is just a tool. :) Graphic design is an awesome field. Sometimes it can be a tough road but stick it out and it will pay off.

7. pscraig macrumors member

Some of the posts here regarding the better LCD technologies are well intentioned, but unless your workflow truly needs calibrated color, just go with what you need and looks good. I have the new 24" LED Cinema Display and absolutely love it, and it works so well with my Macbook. When I'm done using Aperture to slog through hundreds of wedding photos (Aperture looks GREAT on a 24" BTW) it makes a nice screen to watch movies.

As the last poster said this is just a tool, I've been making a living using less than pro-standard equipment for 10 years.

8. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I think you would surely disagree if you actually saw a 24" TN like the one the OP posted a picture of in person. PVA is good but when you can get a 24" IPS for around the same price, why not do it? I think getting the best you can afford is the best advise. And the display is quite important being that it is your window to the computer and will be looked at every day.