Using new rMBP 15 inch in desktop mode.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EnderTW, Mar 27, 2014.

1. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I've been going back and forth between the Mac Pro and 15 inch rMBP. Mac Pro is overkill but I'm worried that I'll be using it in desktop mode mostly.

The reason I'm choosing between the two is because of the 4k monitor I have. Otherwise I'd select the 27 inch iMac.

Is there anything wrong with using the rMBP in desktop mode maybe like 60% of the time? Would that hurt the battery if it's plugged in all the time?

2. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

I run the rMBP in "desktop" mode about 90% of the time connected to a Dell U2410 monitor and have absolutely no issues.

There are several threads about batteries and you can search and read through all of them at your leisure, but this is *my* experience spanning 3 MBPs regarding batteries.

I use my rMBP plugged in about 75% of the time and I will switch off/unplug every 2-3 days. I will then use the rMBP on battery until it gets to about 40%-45% capacity and then turn the charger back on to charge the battery till full. I will still be using the rMBP during charging. See the attached screenshot taken just moments ago.

On previous MBPs, I made the "mistake" of following Apple's battery guides which basically stated to let the battery run down until the computer switched off and then charge back fully. I think I did that a few times until I realised that each time I did that, the current capacity dropped!! Now, the MBP current capacity only has around 85% of the design capacity.

Anyway, that's my experience. At the end of the day, what is most important is to use the rMBP and not worry too much about the battery, which at the worst case, can be replaced anyway.

Attached Files:

3. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting that's very helpful. Appreciate it!

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I keep it always plugged in and do the once a month discharge.

The battery gets hurt if you keep it 100%, and also if you are discharging it.

5. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

4k works very well on this laptop.

4k 60hz no problem. Running 1080p scaled, works perfectly because all my windows are sized the same from desktop to laptop.

Apple great job, it runs very fluidly.