Using NoobProof alongside the OS X firewall... Is there any point?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0dev, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Right, as I understand it, NoobProof uses IPFW to set rules, but I've already set up the OS X firewall in System Preferences to block all incoming connections.

I've just set up NP to basically do the same, but I must ask... Is there any point?

Also, do the two conflict, or does the firewall in System Preferences use IPFW too?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6: About the Application Firewall

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

So even if you set the built in firewall to block ALL incoming connections, it only applies to popular protocols?

I take it if something gets past ipfw, the built in firewall can block it too? So I get double security?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I only use the built-in Mac firewall. There's no need for anything more than that.

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

If ipfw blocks more than the built in firewall surely there is a point? After all, any security measures you put in place will only slow down a hacker, so the more you have the better.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The real question to ask is what are the chances that your Mac will ever become the target of a hacker's attack? The chances for most users is slim to none. It is extremely rare for an average user to be the target of a hacker attack.

7. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

That's like saying, there's no point putting locks on my doors because my house is in a nice area where there are very few robberies. Yes, it may be unlikely, but that doesn't mean you have to keep everything open.

So, as long as I get additional security alongside my OS X firewall from ipfw, and it isn't interfering with my system, I'll leave it set up. It isn't slowing anything down or damaging anything, and it's providing extra security should I need it. No reason for it not to be there TBH.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could be wrong but at one point apple used ifpw with a gui front-end and moved away from that in 10.6 (or 10.5?). While the current firewall that apple uses is ok and probably good enough. ifpw is certainly more robust.

Personally ifpw has a better and longer track record then apple's current application firewall and so I'd go with ifpw myself. Using both is redundant and unnecessary.

9. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Yes, I believe they used it in Tiger and anything prior to it OS X-wise.

I have four firewalls now. I run a very tight ship ;)

10. spinkick macrumors newbie

[​IMG]