Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj420118

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Hi,

I am going to be installing windows xp pro on my mac using boot camp. Once i have windows installed on a separate partition would it be ok if i used Norton Ghost on another PC and uploaded a Windows XP image onto the mac since technically it can behave like any windows pc now?:confused: The reason i am asking this is because i already have a nice ghost image of what i want windows xp to contain as well as all the preferences already changed.

Thanks,

Danny

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
dj420118 said:
Hi,

I am going to be installing windows xp pro on my mac using boot camp. Once i have windows installed on a separate partition would it be ok if i used Norton Ghost on another PC and uploaded a Windows XP image onto the mac since technically it can behave like any windows pc now?:confused: The reason i am asking this is because i already have a nice ghost image of what i want windows xp to contain as well as all the preferences already changed.

Thanks,

Danny

How would you get the Mac into the "receive" mode to accept the image dump? That would be the trick, I think...

Along the Ghost lines, I would like to know if I can use Parallels to run Ghost and multicast from the Parallels Windows session...? If nobody answers this by Monday, I'll let you know cause I'm going to try it!

dj420118

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Thanks... I guess your right about the receive mode. Normally we use a diskette to boot off of in order to get us into the ghost program. I don't know if version 10.0 does things differently. I currently have version 8.0. As for the Mac side i know i can just use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image and copy it to some other macs. The problem is only windows.

I hope to hear from you when you try it on Monday.

Thanks Again,

Danny

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
Ghost locks up my Parallels window

Hello!
Sorry for the late response! I have Parallels loaded and am running a VM with Windows XP Pro SP2. I loaded Norton Ghost 7.
I had to setup the Network Adapter in Parallels to have Ghost start talking with the intended "client" computer.
I can connect and start a Ghost session from within my Parallels but after the process starts, my Parallels Windows XP virtual machine locks up hard. I have to force Parallels to restart.
Also, Parallels is not supporting USB 2.0 harddrives. It comes up (in Windows) and tells me I could get better performance from my high speed USB device if I connected it to a USB 2.0 port. So, basically, Parallels does not support hi-speed USB yet. That is bad news too.
I then tried reverting back to Bootcamp, but I cannot partition the drive now that Parallels is there. I may try and remove Parallels alltogether.
I emailed Parallels but have not heard back yet. I may end up returning Parallels if I cannot use it for Ghosting and hi-speed USB access.
Let me know how your trials go!
Thanks...

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I think dumping it's possible to have to be able to dump the user defined xp sp2 image onto the bootcamp partition because I have a clean xp sp2 image loaded onto an external drive at the moment and a Norton Ghost bootable cd which contains the legacy ghost program.

I personally haven't tried it yet, but I think these would be the steps I take to see if it works

1) plug ext drive to mac
2) run bootcamp assistant to get the partition setup (no xp files copied)
3) stick in norton ghost bootable cd
4) run legacy ghost
5) image over the user defined xp sp2

Would these steps seem to work?

smp

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
I have been running XP on my macbook pro for a while but recently decided that I made a mistake when I originally set up my partitions. I originally gave XP only 10GB thinking I wouldn't use it much but I was wrong.
So, in order to re-partition everything (and I can't simply run boot camp for reasons I won't care to get in to), I had to make an image of my OS X partition (using CCC) and then create an image of my XP installation using Ghost.
I ran ghost off of a custom made Windows PE CD that I made using UBCD4win. So, I was able to create a ghost image just fine and I was able to repartition my drive (now giving XP 25GB). I put the XP image back onto the new partition using the same PE boot CD and it seemed to work fine UNTIL I rebooted. Holding option I can not see the XP partition. In network preferences the "Startup Disk" pref CAN SEE the XP partition and recognizes it as a bootable volume BUT upon rebooting it tries to boot into windows but the system stops right after the grey startup screen at a black screen that says (in plain MS DOS style) "no system disk, please insert system disk and hit any key to reboot" (or whatever the typical no boot volume error is).

So I'm stuck.
I'm just re-installing XP right now because I don't have time to troubleshoot it but I thought I would post my experience here in case someone finds it useful.

smyhre

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Image XP onto the bootcamp partition

If you are still looking for a method to image XP onto the bootcamp partition try this. I did this on several machines and it worked perfectly. I used a Bart PE disk for this.

To make and blast an image of the Windows side of the mac:

Creating the image:
1. Create your perfect setup for the Windows side on the Mac including:
- Mac drivers by inserting the 10.5 (leopard) Install Disk and installing bootcamp.
- Installing any Boot camp updates for windows side, current version 2.1 (Leopard disk has version 2.0).
- Other updates, programs, etc.
2. Boot from a Bart PE by holding down the "c" key on restart, and open Ghost 8.
3. Make an image by choosing Partition/To Image. Make sure you choose the NTFS partition only. Save the image to a flash drive/harddrive. If needed sys prep the image before next steps.

Making the Windows Partition
4. Start up on the Mac OS side of the computer and open up Bootcamp Assistant. Fastest way to find it is hit "Command(Apple) Space" and then start typing the name. Otherwise go to Harddrive/Applications/Utilities/Bootcamp Assistant
5. Set up the size of partition you want for the widows side by using the slider between the Mac and Windows partitions and click partition.
6. After the partition is set up quit Bootcamp Assistant.

Blasting the image:
7. After the bootcamp partition is set up insert a windows install disk (must have SP2 on it) and boot up on it by pressing "C" key on startup.
8. Go through the steps in the begining and tell it to quick format the bootcamp partition as NTFS.
9. After the quick format is finished turn off the computer by holding the power button down.
10. Start up on Mac side, eject Windows Disk, insert Bart PE disk, and attatch the flash drive/harddrive that contains the Windows image.
11. Restart the machine once again holding down the "c" key to boot off of Bart PE.
12. Blast the image on to the windows side by choosing Partition/From Image. Find the image on the flash drive/harddrive and then make sure you image it to the NTFS partion on the correct drive otherwise you will erase the entire Mac side.
13. After the imaging is complete reboot holding down the Option key and choose the Windows side. If it boots you did it right, if not or the widows option doesn't show you did it wrong.

It seems like a long process but really it's much shorter then it could be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.