Using Nvida and ATI card inside OS X - benefits and drawbacks ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shinchan72, Mar 19, 2009.

1. shinchan72 macrumors member

Looking for mac pro owners who have ran a mix of cards inside OS X, not worried about boot camp issues as I run Fusion for whatever is needed.

I got a new Mac Pro today with the GT 120 and have a 3870 coming in tomorrow and a 4870 on way in couple months almost it looks like.

Anyway how do ATI and NVIDIA work inside OS X together ? Whichever monitor has the window on each card open is using that GPU I take it ? Any issues or certain ways to use when you have a combo to get the best benefit from each ?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They work fine. OS X handles mixed manufacturer cards well.

I will be running one 4870 and one GT 120 in my Mac Pro. I will report on their workings when I get my Mac Pro.

I will test 1080p video in QuickTime (dragging windows across screens, playback, etc.) and whatever else is requested of me.

3. shinchan72 thread starter macrumors member

Cool , my 3870 should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

I'm curious to see which behaves better in certain apps vs others.Will report back what I find out also.

4. gtsmygts macrumors newbie

Just ordered my Mac Pro with one Ati 4870 according to the Apple Guy should be coming in about two weeks time.

Its my first switch from PC to Mac. Was planning to order a GT 120 for my third monitor usage. Kinda silly question do I put it at the top graphics card slot? Any other stuff I need to take note of when installing the card?

Thanks.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Put it in the second slot, just above the 4870.

6. shinchan72 thread starter macrumors member

I put my 3870 in the bottom slot and moved the GT 120 to the one right above it.

I know they are both 16x , just figured would put the more powerful one on bottom for no particular reason.

No problems so far (other than the noise of the fan from the 3870) , still hoping the 4870 Mac edition can be found before the May shipping date of mine from Apple.

Anyway I've been trying to find on the net details of how OS X handles different GPU's with which apps and so on.

I'm also curious how Snow Leopard will take advantage of this. As in will ATI or Nvidia GPU's provide better performance gains or will they be even , or will there be any disadvantages in SL to having them mixed.

Haven't had any issues dragging between them , haven't really pushed them yet though.