Using Office for Windows vs. Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by archdelux, Apr 27, 2010.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

I am going to be running parallels a lot due to my need for Onenote. I am wondering if there is and advantage/disadvantage to running all of my office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) via Windows XP as opposed to using Office 2008 for Mac OS....any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Running two OSs at the same time is heavier than just one, so it'll cause shorter battery life. Any reason why you need Windows? Any alternatives for OneNote?

3. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

THanks for the response. The main (only) reason to run windows via parallels is to use Onenote, which I use constantly. I have looked briefly at forums/etc and there doesn't seem to be a quality replacement app in the mac os, but please let me know if you (or others) know of something.

Regarding my use: since I will be running windows anyway for onenote, will it slow down my computer to be running MS Office on windows as opposed to the Mac version?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With little googling, EverNote should be worth trying. There is also CrossOver which lets you run Windows software on OS X

Shouldn't slow down much, depends on how much RAM you have

5. mslide macrumors 6502a

That depends on what Mac you have. When I run a Windows Office program, under Parallels, my 2.0GHz 3GB ram macbook comes to a crawl. It's slow enough where I definitely wouldn't want to use it often. However, Mac Office is not 100% compatible. It's "pretty good" but it has its flaws. For example, excel VBA macros don't work. Word is pretty good but I still occasionally run into problems. It's bad enough where I don't use mac office for work (I use my work issued windows pc for that).

6. PandaOnslaught macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

this thread has a bunch of programs that are equivalent to onenote, try them and see if one can substitute:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=426460
    good luck :)

7. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I did look at various options - and still might end up going with Ponies, or Evernote, etc, but would REALLY like to keep Onenote due to all the stuff I already have in that file format etc.

BUT - I had never heard about CrossOver - that sounds perfect! I assume it will 'cost' much less RAM/etc to run than parallels, correct? Will it bog down my computer at all?

So given my need for Onenote, is there any disadvantage to going with CrossOvers?

Thanks!

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would try the others too, they may use the same file format.

Yeah, it's like running "OneNote for Mac". There may be some minor bugs etc but try the trial of CrossOver before buying, if it'd good, then buy it.

9. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I have both Office2007(Win) and Office2008(Mac) and generally prefer running 2007 in parallels. Here are the leading reasons it works for me.

1. I actually like the 2007 interface. Once I got my head around how it works it made more sense then the old menu heavy interface. Though the 2008 interface is better then the 2004 interface it still seems clunky compared to the windows versions.
    2. Macro/VB support
    3. Access data base

I'm running the Office2010 beta right now, and MS seems to have made some nice improvements to the 2007 interface. From what I've read Office 2011 (Mac) will be much closer to Office 2010 the 2008 was to 2007. Office2011 will also mark the return of VB to the Mac. While 2011 may knock out 2 of the reasons I prefer the Win version of Office its not going to include a Mac version of Access so I'll likely be sticking with the windows version.

10. Pine Pienaar macrumors newbie

Even with the new MacBook running Excel for Mac comes to craw:cool:!
    Regards

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It shouldn't. I have a 2.16ghz Macbook Pro, with 3gb of ram, and while trying to get a nursing video to play, I had OS X and XP running, and was booting 7 when I finally got the stupid video to play.

Do you have enough HDD space, or have you tried using VMWare instead?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Starving the VM for RAM is also a common cause for slow performance. On a 3GB machine I'd try to give 1.5GB to the VM.

B