Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
okay i don't know what appropriate title for this question, but anyway i'm very beginner in this "networking" things.

in my house i use a CDMA modem connected to a wi-fi router DLINK DIR-412
so basically everyone / machine in my house connected to the wifi by this router.

and i have a spare airport express (last time i use is but now no more)
i just bought a iPhone docking speaker, Geneva Labs that have 3.5mm input.
so i'm thinking to stream or airplay my music from my macs, and my iPad to the speakers using the airport express as the receiver.

like i said i'm very beginner in this kind of thing.

i'm abled to connect the my macbookpro to the airport express and played my iTunes library to the speaker via wi-fi
but in order to do so i must select the airport express access point thus disabling my mac to connect to the internet as my airport express is not connected to the internet.

my Dlink wifi router is connected to the internet
so i'm thinking to use my airport express to "join" to the Dlink accespoint so i can connect to the internet and also use my airplay speaker .
is it possible ?
if it is
how should i do that ?

thank you very much.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you will have the express join the network from your dlink.

its an option on the wireless page in settings.

i recommend using an ethernet cable to get it set up, either into your router or directly into your computer. although you can try setting it up while you're connected to the current wireless from the express, but you have one chance to get it working, if that fails, you'll have to plug it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.