Using old HD in replacement of Optical Drive Q.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick-32, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Patrick-32 macrumors member

Hey,

I replaced the original HD which was shipped with my laptop to SSD drive, i have since bought a HD caddy, I know how to do the fitting however I am wondering..

The SSD is running el capitano.

The older HD was running mountain lion.. when I do the actual fitting, How will I change settings to boot from SSD still and also will it be possible to browse files on the older HD if it was been used as an OS.

What would people recommend

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you install the hard drive, in addition to your SSD - you really don't need to do anything.
    Make sure that your SSD with 10.11 is set in your System Preferences/Startup Disk pane. That will assure that when you boot or restart that your MBPro defaults to boot to your SSD.
    If you have the hard drive installed as second drive, it will appear on your desktop, same as plugging in an external drive. You will have easy access to any files on your hard drive, just as you would with any external drive.
    And, if you want to boot to the hard drive, you can change the default setting in Startup Disk to your hard drive, if you like.
    Or, for a once-in-a-while boot, just restart while holding the Option key. Choose whichever boot drive you want to use.
    I do know that I can't see the El Capitan boot system in Startup Disk when I am booted to a Mountain Lion system. I don't know exactly why.
    However, I can always see either boot system when I restart to the Option-boot screen. That might be your choice, too.

3. Patrick-32, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

4. Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man, could you check above image/listing for me, is it wrong?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What about your picture makes you believe that there is something wrong about the caddy?
    The only thing that I can see, is that it looks too thick to fit inside the case (and be able to put the cover back in place)
    Is that your question?
    Other than being a generic item, there's nothing wrong with the listing.
    Does the connector from the ribbon cable in your MBPro fit properly in the caddy's connector (the connector in your picture)?

6. Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

No it fit in perfect..
    I thought it would just slide in but i think I might need a cable? You see the slot between my fingers and thumb, what goes in there? Should I have a second cable then yeah? Lie the one connected to the SSD? I don't understand how it connects..

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's a SATA port.

Seeing as your optical drive is still in there, the SATA cable is still attached to it. You'll be able to connect it once you remove the optical drive...

9. Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks lads, I appreciate that. I don;t know how I missed it. Thanks again. I'm happy out now :)