Using old hd with newer Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mar2, May 18, 2014.

1. mar2 macrumors newbie

Hi

I am hopefully getting a new Macbook Pro this week. My question is will I be able to via a docking base read my old Macbook Pro hard drive on my new MAC and also copy the contents of it over to my new MAC. My concern is that I won't be able to copy software applications off the old hd to the new MAC.

In theory could I even replace the new MAC's hd with my old one, providing its compatible?

Thanks for any help

Mark

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The newest MacBook Pro uses PCI-e flash memory - no hard drive.
    So, you can't simply swap in an older hard drive or SSD.
    You CAN transfer your files, either using your older Mac, or transferring the internal hard drive to an external cradle of some kind - using either USB or ThunderBolt.
    Or, when you first turn on your new MacBook Pro, you will be asked if you want to transfer files and apps from an older Mac.
    Follow the steps, and it will be simple.
    Or, later on, you can use your Migration Assistant.
    It's in your Applications/Utilities folder.

3. mar2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that was quick, thanks for the info and advice, I guess migration assistant will be the way I'll go in that case.

Cheers

Mark

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Clarification, the Retina MacBook Pro is PCIe. If you get the 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro it still uses the old style drive. But still, a docking bay or external case is the best way to go.