Using old iPhone with generic AT&T plan?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DaveS123, Jan 10, 2010.

1. DaveS123 macrumors newbie

Hello. I have an old (pre-3G) iPhone and I'm wondering what steps I need to take to use this with my current generic AT&T cellphone plan. I have a 3G AT&T SIM card and I'd like to use this with the old iPhone.

As a result, I would expect to have basic cellphone (i.e. make calls, send/receive text messages) and iPod functionality without the ability to send & receive other data (e.g. browse the web) without the typical added data price.

What do I need to do to make this happen? Is it possible? Can I just plug in my SIM card? Do I need to 'unlock' the iPhone (and how would I do this)? Do I need to 'jailbreak' the iPhone (and how would I do this)?

Thanks!

Dave

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you have ATT service than you can simply just swap out SIMs. Just make sure you switch off the Data feature.

3. DaveS123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

call att and ask them to put a data block on your plan and you'll be all set

5. DaveS123 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I don't call them and ask to block the data feature, what happens? With the old flipphone that I have now, I can access the internet and get mail (though these features are essentially unusable), and am charged for data accordingly. As long as my access is quick the charges are negligible. Would these be the same charges received for using data-necessary features on the iPhone (without explicitly blocking the data feature that is)? Would there be any use of data that I don't specifically request if I didn't have it blocked? I suppose blocking the data would be good in that it would stop me from being tempted to use data features and as a result incur a big charge :p.

Thanks

6. JeffreyHoschak macrumors newbie

ATT Requires that all iPhone users have the iPhone Data plan whether you plan on using it or not. Unless I am mistaken, the second your sim card is inserted into the iphone and it is activated, the iphone plan is added to your account, and ATT will not remove it as long as you are using an iphone.

7. DaveS123 thread starter macrumors newbie

...unless you specifically request that the data feature is blocked?

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The iPhone is very data intensive. You might think it'd be cheaper to pay by the kilobyte, but it would be very easy to rack up huge bills. Note also that the iPhone uses data for Voicemail, so any time your phone polls the voicemail server or downloads voicemail you would be using data. In addition, the iPhone has a full web browser, so loading a single webpage requires much more data than it does in a WAP browser (images, java, etc.); and web so useable on the iPhone, you might not even notice how much you were using it.

All-in-all, I would strongly recommend against using an iPhone without a data plan if you don't have data blocked by AT&T.

9. DaveS123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it seems like blocking the data plan is the best bet. Can this be done to a single user on a plan? I'm part of a family plan with 3 others, two of which have full-featured 3G iPhones.

Also, I've already tried plugging the SIM card in and it worked (I was able to make a call and send a text message). I'm still able to cancel the data plan for myself even though the SIM as been seen with the old iPhone, correct?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, you can put a data block on a single line of a family plan. I've done it on my mother's line so she can't accidentally rack up data charges on her phone.

I would put it back in a dumb phone before you call.

11. DaveS123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Already did :)

I think that I got all of the answers that I was looking for. I just want to say thanks to everyone who commented. You've all been very helpful and very fast! Thanks!

12. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Not true.. My wife's using my old iPhone this way.. As a regular phone with text messaging via our unlimited family plan, as well as the iPod feature.. Been doing it for 6 months + now.. I didn't block the data or anything.. In fact, one time over Thanksgiving my battery was dead and I wanted to use hers to get directions from google maps and it wouldn't let me because we didn't have a data plan for it..

So, you can absolutely, without a doubt, plug in your sim card and use it as a phone, text messaging device and an iPod with no problems..

13. DaveS123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know that it also doesn't check for voicemail or email due to a lack of data plan? What happens if you try to access the internet?

14. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

without the data plan you do not have VISUAL voicemail, but you do have regular voicemail. without a data plan you can still access the web and email via wifi, but you must in a place that offers wifi etc

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You need to block data or you will be charged by the kilobyte.