Using old iPhone without data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jngphoto, Jul 25, 2009.

1. jngphoto macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to the 3Gs and have the old iPhone 2G sitting around. I was wondering if I gave it to my brother who is on my family plan, can he use it as a basic phone without paying for the data plan? Can he simply pull his sim card from his Moto Razor and put it in my old iPhone?

2. Motocross250R macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, If he did put his sim in there, it would still need to be activating, which will throw on that data plan. This is what I'm doing, you can look at my threads about it, but first call AT&T from your bro's RAZR, tell them to block the data on the phone, so when you hit stocks or weather on the iPhone, you don't get charged per KB. Then, jailbreak+unlock with Redsn0w, which will also "hacktivate" ie activate without putting any plan on it. Then it's unlocked, then put his SIM in, then go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz to put on a fake APM, which will block data from the phone's end. Double protection! Hope this works for you.

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

When your brother puts in his AT&T sim card, he will need to add the iPhone data plan. He can give them the IMEI of the razr after and remover the data plan, but because the iPhone uses alot of data from the network, it will cost alot of $$, like somtimes in the $900s. So just add the $20.00 data for iPhone and be good to go.

4. eliteneo macrumors member

yeah all you have to do is unlock and jailbreak your phone, which is easy to do, i'm running tmobil pay as you go on an old iphone 2g that i picked up for 150$ it works great

5. Motocross250R macrumors member

Ignore this.

He didn't read my post about blocking data on both your end and AT&T's end. Oh, and this jailbreak/unlock and data blocking won't mess up wifi, he'll still have wifi everywhere.

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

7. lamadude macrumors 6502

just unlock the phone and block data, works perfectly. I've been doing that since day 1. I spend maybe 5 € per month on my iPhone.