Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dws90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I realize I likely won't be able to get a good specific answer to this question here, but any general advice would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a new Canon Rebel XTi, and I like it quite a bit. I also have a high-end (at the time) Canon film camera from roughly 10-15 years ago (before digital cameras existed). The film camera has a really nice zoom lens that's much better than the one that came with the XTi.

Since the XTi was a fairly large drain on my disposable income, I'm not willing to buy a new lens at the moment. Fortunately, however, my old lens from the film camera appears to work with the XTi (or, at least, auto-focus does). My question, then: is there any reason you can think of to NOT use the older lens instead of the lens that came with the XTi? For example, could it negatively impact the pictures?

For the record, the old lens is a Ultrasonic 28-105mm Vivitar lens (To find that, I simply wrote down everything written on the circumference, so I don't know what order it should be in). The film camera is a Eos A2e.

Thanks.

JNB

macrumors 604
Since you've already successfully mounted and auto-focussed the lens, it's pretty apparent that it is (more or less) compatible. As long as it's an EF-compatible lens, you're fine. That being said, why would you want to make this an "either/or" situation as your post seems to infer? The XTi comes with an 18-55 IIRC, and it's not nearly as bad as a lot of folks would have you believe, plus it covers a bit of range the Vivitar doesn't. The whole point of an SLR is interchangeable lenses to cover a wide range of needs. As long as you're not forcing the old lens, and the shots you get seem to be in line with what is expected, just add it to the kit. There's no such thing as too many lenses...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.