Using old Mini DisplayPort dongles with USB-C?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by george-brooks, Nov 9, 2017.

1. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I've purchased a couple different USB-C to MDP dongles for my 2017 MacBook Pro, and neither of them works with any old Mini DisplayPort adapters (DVI, HDMI, etc. to MDP). Does anyone know if there are any Mini DisplayPort to USB-C adapters that do support daisychaining with other adapters? Or is this a limitation of DisplayPort Alternate mode?

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

This adapter?
    Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

I don't believe that will do the Mini-DP output. In fact - it even says so in the description -

Here is the support page (in case it's not linking in the quote)
    Connect devices and displays with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

On that support page is this
    [/FONT]

3. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I'm not talking about the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter, I already know that that doesn't support mini DP output. I'm talking about third party dongles. I've got a couple different generic chinese USB-C to Mini DP adapters from Amazon. I'd like

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Wonderful new world of "what works with this thing?"
    smh

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My guess (and it's only "a guess") is that your entire collection of "old" adapters won't work.

For the 2017 models... better "start clean"... even if that means buying new stuff all over again.

Ain't "dongle life" great?

6. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Ya, I've already bought a full set of USB-C dongles (and I mean a FULL set). I work on high end photoshoots as a digital imaging technician so I have to know that I have backups of everything. I have at least 2 of each USB-C adapter, but it would be nice to know that my old dongles could be used somehow in a worst case scenario. Right now I'm carrying both old and new since I'm using a 2017 MBP as well as a Trash Can on set. These transition periods are always so annoying!

By the way, the mini DP port on the OWC dock DOES support mini DP dongles, I just need something that isn't so bulky and doesnt require AC power.