Using onboard GPS without cellular voice, data, or wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sir-deesly, May 8, 2013.

1. Sir-deesly macrumors newbie

2 years ago I went to Europe and took my phone 4 with me to use as a GPS. I used an app by Sygic that provided on-board (downloaded) maps for the the countries I was visiting. At this time, I did not have wifi or cell service (data nor voice).

I cannot seem to get the iphone's GPS to function without wifi, or data/voice cell service. I've been testing it using the Compass app which displays coordinates when a location is received. Should I have wifi, cell service, or cell data available, the coordinates are provided (a GPS signal is achieved). If all of them are off, I cannot get a signal. Keep in mind I used the GPS without wifi or cellular voice/data two years ago in Europe without any issues.

I'm thinking the issue is derived from one of the following:
    • missing something in the settings
    • something changed when I unlocked (AT&T)
    • Apple has set-up GPS restrictions (ISO update) for when the phone does not have cellular/wifi service

Any ideas?

If already covered in different thread, please point the way! I tried about 7 various search terms in the advanced search with no luck for the specific terms, and got too many results for the system to display with the term "GPS".

FYI: Currently use the phone with VOIP (talkatone app) but also have a prepaid T-mobile card for emergencies, which rarely gets turned on. Trying to prepare iphone to use as GPS for a trip (just like before) where for the most part I will not have wifi or any type of cell service. I tried contacting apple store; spent 10 minutes going through prompters to speak with someone who wanted the phone's serial number so he could let me know I was no longer qualified for free Apple support.. uhg.

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Airplane mode must be off for the GPS to work. It does take an iPhone a little while to get a unassisted lock on your location, but when it does it will hold it.

3. Sir-deesly thread starter macrumors newbie

Airplane mode: Off
    Wifi: Off
    Sim Card: removed

..still no GPS signal. If anyone's willing to check, am I alone?

Additionally, when I was traveling two years ago, I used airplane mode the entire time. It was how I was able to keep my phone from endlessly searching for a network (killing my battery life).

Any ideas? I'm beginning to think that if I resort to the IOS version used back then I will have the phone's independent GPS feature back.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On iPhones, turning on Airplane mode has always disabled the GPS. That's the definition of Airplane Mode. My 3Gs running iOS 6.1.2 without a SIM card and with WiFi off will pick on GPS. But it does take it anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes to find it.

5. Sir-deesly thread starter macrumors newbie

As I think about it, I had AT&T temporarily shut down my service; not sure why I was thinking it was airplane mode.

I appreciate the help Intell, problem fixed.

Let the phone sit outside for a few minutes. It got a signal and kept it for a brief walk.

While I have the attention of a stranger more knowledge-able than I..

any idea how to turn off cellular voice aside from airplane mode or removing/de-activating the sim?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope. Airplane Mode, SIM removal, and carrier suspending are the only ways on an iPhone.