using one MBPs screen as external display for another

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by himoundary, Mar 31, 2013.

1. himoundary macrumors newbie

I am trying to use one MacBook Pro's screen as external display for another (both Retina), using a ThunderBolt cable to connect the two.

I am following the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4469 , but they don't seem to work.

Are the steps listed on the page only valid for connecting to an iMac's display as external display, or should it work between any two (recent) Macs including MBPs?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can't use one Laptop screen for the other except screen sharing but that is a "slow" software solution.

3. MacKid macrumors 6502

Apple's notebooks cannot be used as displays for any external video source. Sorry. :(

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

As others have said, you can't use the laptop's screen purely as a screen by direct connection. You can still use it as a secondary display, however, using a program like ScreenRecycler. ScreenRecycler has the other computer run a VNC session and then has your computer treat it as a secondary monitor. The video signals run through your network, so this isn't a good option if you have a slow network (although linking both systems by an ethernet cable might be a feasible option).

I used this program for a few years over an ethernet network at work with an old G5 and a large display. I didn't try playing videos through the other display (although the demo video indicates that it can be done with good performance), but it worked very nicely for me. The only unfortunate limit is that it only supports one other computer at this point - I had a few other systems and displays that I could have put into service otherwise :)