Using Only Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Phtosynthesis, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Phtosynthesis macrumors member

So I've been running Windows 7 ever since I got it and I've been favoring it over Mac OS X, only because I play games on Steam and I don't quite like the Mac version side of things yet. With that said, I rarely go into Mac OS X and really haven't for some months now. The one thing I've been thinking about are all of the daily, monthly, etc. processes you should be running with your Mac to keep it in shape. As far as I can tell they aren't being run ever if I'm always in Windows. My question is, is there anything I should be doing then since I'm always running Windows? Maybe go into OS X every so often and run the processes? Or maybe a way to do that while in Windows?

2. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I ran Windows XP almost exclusively on my MacBook for about 3 years, until viruses and a new MBP finally convinced me to move over to Mac OS X.

What processes are you talking about? The only thing I can think that you might want to do once in a while (once a month, if even that??) is run Software Update, just to make sure you're up to date.

And no, there's no way that I can think of that you can do it from the Windows side of Bootcamp.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah there's no processes that occur as u mention.

4. Phtosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

I meant like the daily scripts that Mac OS X runs.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Why would they need to run if you are not in Mac OS X? As umiwangu says Software Update is the only thing that might be an issue. There may be firmware updates that could affect your Windows use. You may just want to boot into Mac OS X regularly (monthly?) to run it and check.

B

6. Phtosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

I understand now. I wasn't thinking of the scripts in regards to software, but hardware. Now I'm aware of what to do. I appreciate the help, thanks.