Using Onyx with Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Just read in some Forum that Onyx was good for Cleaning up my G3 pismo as its been running a bit slow recently...
    I usually "repair the Authorisations" with Disc Utility about once a week.But digging into my Apps I find that I do have Onyx installed... as it came with the Mac I assume the version corrisponds to Panther... thanks Brother!
    Ok, two questions 1. when I opened it up and tried to check on the 'History' to see if it had been done before... The app crashed. Is it still "Safe" to use
    2. If so what do I clean (Do I use the default settings ?) or what?
    Please keep it simple as I don't know 9/10ths of the ticked boxes mean.
    and would hate to screw up my OS.
    Thanks

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

First thing I would recommend is, if you don't know what the technical meanings of the options are, stop now, and either read up on them, or enlist the assistance of a more technical friend.

Also, since you are using an application that is going to effect the core of your OS, I would highly recommend visiting their site and verifying that you have the correct version. I believe that 1.5.3 is the correct version for Panther, but you should double check, and possibly download a fresh copy anyway (in case there have been updates since your copy has been installed).

Be careful, many of the options in that program can seriously cripple your system. Sticking with the simple cleanup section is usually safe, but read up on the definitions.

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... thats what I thought... thats why I contacted you guy's.... hmmm! I think I'll stick to "Disc Utilities" and put up with the "slowness"

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sadly a G3 Pismo is not going to feel fast by today's standards to begin with. However, as an avid user of classic Macintosh systems, it is still a powerful computer with plenty of capabilities! I would encourage looking into a more modern hard drive with more space, and possibly maxing out the memory on that system.

A Pismo is still a brilliant little laptop, something I hope to add to my collection in the future!

Have fun, and enjoy!