Using original iPhone on rural network

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ltldrummerboy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

If you're looking for a noob barbecue, you've found the right place.

I just recently bought a 2G iPhone from a friend. Here's my question. Can I use an unlocked 2G on any GSM network as long as I'm paying them and have their SIM card? The specific carrier I would be using it with is GCI. They provide voice and EDGE data in Alaska.

I asked someone who works there and they said the iPhone won't work on their network. Does it really make a difference to them what smartphone I use or were they misinformed? I need voice and I need data. Will those both work if I get a plan through GCI?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If it is unlocked it will take any sim card. Don't listen to the dumb customer service reps that don't know anything about that.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Worked fine for me when I tried it last year. Data and SMS both worked without any additional modifications.

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its unlocked then it doesnt matter what GSM sim you put in. It will work anywhere worldwide.
    Customer reps dont know much about jailbreaks and unlocks, they probably think you're trying to use it with stock firmware.

6. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Thanks for the quick responses. NeoMayhem, are you on GCI or do you use another carrier?