Using original MacBook HD in Brand New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qacjared, Jan 28, 2008.

1. qacjared macrumors regular

So I have a Rev. B MacBook (Core 2) with upgraded RAM and a 120 GB 5400 Rpm SATA HD running Is OS X 10.5.1 that is literly falling apart(and I mean the screen is falling off) but the HD is completely intact and works just wonderifully.

By the way incase you were wondering its out of warranty and was accidental damage anyway(I dropped it over the summer)

So I bought a one of those fancy Santa Rosa Macbooks. The thing is it only has a 80 GB 5400 RPM SATA HD. Can I just put the old HD into the New MacBook?

(Yes, I have a backup of it 2)

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Yes. Same specs. Really easy to do and an officially user-installable part under Apple's warranty -- so long as you don't break anything while you do it.

If you've never done this before, one trick: when you remove the drive sled from the 80GB drive, remember how it was on there, like which side of the drive faced up, as the drive connector in the MacBooks isn't keyed and you can install the new drive upside down -- which so far as I've read has only freaked people out, not damaged anything, but you never know.

Oh, keep the 80GB as a spare rather than sell it. You won't get much for it in comparison to what it's worth as a spare if you're 120GB drive does tank on you.