using OS X as a network bridge

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Scorch07, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Here's my goal: simply to share my MBPs wireless connection to my Xbox over ethernet. Sounds simple enough and I know it should be possible but it isn't working. I have internet sharing on to go from the airport to ethernet but when I try to connect the xbox it can't even find a network or get an IP address. I would assume I just need to get my computer to act as a host of some kind and assign it an IP address, but I can't figure out how to get it to do that. Any ideas?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I encountered the same issue, and my solution was to hook up my iMac (it has an internet connection via AirPort) using Network sharing to Ethernet (as you have done), and then I had a Switch (Simple 4-Port Switch) to connect with 2 cables iMac -> Switch -> 360 - then it worked just fine, no IP address messing about needed.

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's how it's hooked up though, through a switch. The xbox still claims it can't get an IP.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though getting direct connection file sharing to work is not very difficult. The same can not be said for Internet sharing. I have tested various methods by connecting my Win 7 PC to Macbook and using OS X ICS. Tweaking my file sharing settings with either or both does not work. Nor have the guides I found online.

The only time I ever have managed to get ICS working was years ago. This was with a Windows XP computer performing ICS from satellite internet to a G4 running Mac OS 9. I can not think of a time I have ever gotten ICS to work on a Mac without a switch in between the Mac and PC.

Personally I think you should just get a router. If price is an issue you can usually find refurbished (Netgear, Linksys or D-Link) 802.11g routers for around $15 (I would only buy one of these brands).

Even if you get ICS working you will have a second problem of getting XBOX live to work as a lot of ports need to be opened in your firewall to the right IP Address. With a router you can configure the XBOX's IP address manually (so it is static) then put it's IP address as the router's DMZ.

5. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried it using my friend's little travel router and it worked like a charm. Still had to set the DNS manually but I can deal with that. Guess that's the way to go.