Using parents card to buy phone ????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EspLtDan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. EspLtDan macrumors newbie

can I use my parents credit card to get it i am an authorized user on the account and am 18 and have an ID

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

They will need to see the ID of whomever's name is on the card. There is NO leniency with this policy, as it is a corporate mandate.

3. 3kids macrumors regular

My kids use my cards all the time. They have never had a problem though it certainly could at some point. I think you ought to be fine with the name on the card matching someone on the account. Have a back up just in case.

4. EspLtDan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks scwinsett so i can just go by myself in the morning and not piss off my parents thanks

5. sjn419 macrumors regular

I don't know if 3kids is referring to letting his kids use his cards at an apple store but you will most certainly be asked for ID and denied sale if you can not produce ID with matching first AND last name as card. Apple is the strictest store I have ever been to on regards to this. Sorry to burst your bubble

6. Depercision macrumors newbie

No store is supposed to accept it in this situation. Even if you have the same last name, might work at the market, gas station or some stores. However big ticket items almost always ask for a valid photo ID.

Even if it is a debit card signed on the back still need the name on the card to match up.

7. EspLtDan thread starter macrumors newbie

8. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

They do this for security, and anyone could just steal the ID when they steal the debit card. Your parent will need to be with you. The debit card must have a matching ID, and the ID must have a photo of the person making the purchase. There is no getting around it. Your parent will need to be present. I am sorry. I know how inconvenient it is, but it is policy of any store that sells things over $50.

9. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

your mom will need to be present as well. bringing someone elses card and someone elses ID to make a purchase does not show authorization.

If i stole a guys wallet and used his card and when they asked for the id i gave him his. does not mean i am authorized to do it.

You are going to need to check the store you are picking up at also. there is much conflicting info about whether or not authorized users can purchase at an apple store. AT&T site says no and that haas been my experience as well.

BTW, If you are old enough to get an iPhone, and go down by yourself to get it, and use mom and dads card. should you know how things like this work?

10. sjn419 macrumors regular

You should go talk to the store manager with your mom in the up coming days. I'm sure they would be able to work out some authorization before hand so she doesn't have to come that morning

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Well that's not my issue.

My issue -- I am the cardholder buying the iPhone, but I don't pay the bill for the phone, the account is under my Dad's name. I do know the last 4 numbers of his social security number, the zip code, phone number, etc. It would let me order off the Apple Store with no problem. Will I have trouble getting the iPhone from the Apple store if I am not the person who the AT&T account is listed under? The account is in my Dad's name, not mine.

Please advise,
    Thanks

12. sjn419 macrumors regular

Some answers here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=944693

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I called AT&T about this earlier. They stated that you would need the account holder there if you buy from the Apple Store, but not if you buy from an AT&T store.

14. EspLtDan thread starter macrumors newbie

i just called the apple store and said she would have to be there but i guess ill try what u said sjn419

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

One user wrote this: "I was at the Apple Store today and asked them this same question. I was told that it would be no problem for an authorized user to pick up the phone. You just need the account holder's SSN and your ID."

I know my Dad's SSN#, I am buying the iPhone with my own credit card and I have my own liscense (photo ID) under my own name. I am 28 years old, but my Dad is the account holder and pays the phone bills for the family from his office. He won't be able to be present at the store under any condition whatsoever. Like I said, I would have no problem ordering from Apple Store Online, for eligibility it asks for the last 4 #'s of SSN, billing zip code, and cell number.

So...since I am not the primary account holder for the AT&T account, I should have no problem walking in to an Apple Store and buying an iPhone with the information I have in hand?

16. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

My parents let me use their credit card, but I have run into problems with it. Some places accept it as long as the back is signed. Some don't check. And some flat out don't allow it. If it's a high priced item, such as the iPhone, they probably won't let you.

17. xmtgx macrumors regular

Apple will not let you if you are not the card holder with ID, also if you are not the account holder apple will also not let you, I've called and talked to multiple people there and at multiple stores to verify this. I'm in the same boat.
    They did however all say that I could wait in line get the phone and sit and wait with it till the account holder to make it to the store. Gotta sit there for an extra hour ugh..

18. EspLtDan thread starter macrumors newbie

19. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

That would work in any other situation, however all purchases for iPhone must be with a credit or debit card. Not even cash will be accepted. It's a liability thing.

20. zachg macrumors newbie

Parents Credit Card

I gave my mom money for my iPhone purchase. She gave me her credit card. I am an authorized user. I just called Apple and they are going to email me a form and my mom has to sign it and I can email it back or bring it with me. I guess the form is just a permission form. I live in OKC so I dont know if its different in different areas.

21. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

According to AT&T's own website...this is the official statement, you can read it here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB90110

"A primary account holder can allow another person to visit a retail location and make certain changes to their account by designating that person as a Retail Authorized User. This measure protects the privacy and security of the primary account holder while allowing account flexibility for a family or group."

BUT it also says this:

"Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores - If visiting an Apple store, the primary account holder must be present. "

So, I am not the primary account holder, my Dad is. I am listed on there as the "Primary User" for the phone under my name and I have registered my name as a Retail Authorized User. Given what it says there, even though I am listed under my phone as the "Primary User" and a "Retail Authorized User" I am still not the primary account holder and thus I can't buy an iPhone at an Apple Store. That's the way I interpret this.

So, this really sucks. No iPhone for me on launch day.
    Guess I will wait on the white one and order online.

22. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I just chatted with an Apple rep on the Apple Store site about this issue, and here is how the conversation went:

You are chatting with Carla G, an Apple Expert...

Hi, my name is Carla G. Welcome to Apple!
    Good evening.

Me: Hello, I have a question regarding the purchase of an iPhone from an Apple Retail Store

Apple: How may I assist you today?

Me: I went to AT&T's website, I am listed under my phone as a "Primary User" and I am also a Retail Authorized User, but I do not pay the bill, I am not the primary account holder for my phone. My father is the primary account holder, the account is under his name. I am 28 years old, and I plan on paying for the phone with my own credit card.

Me: my question is, will my father need to be present at the store in order for me to buy an iPhone from a retail store?

Apple: Usually the primary would need to be present.

Me: well I am listed as the "Primary User" for my phone and I am also a "Retail Authorized User" The account is under my father's name, he pays the phone bills for the family.

Apple: As long as you bring in the proper ID then you will be able to purchase the iPhone.

Me: Wait, I am not understanding this correctly. I am buying with my own credit card and I have my driver's license under my name and I have my father's social security number.

Apple: Is the account under his social security number?

Me: Yes.

Apple: I would recommend contacting the Apple retail store to verify the information that is needed when picking up the iPhone.

Me: I was hoping you could answer my question for me, I have been on several user forums trying to get help and so far I haven't gotten one definitive answer. I am listed as "Primary User" for my phone number. The Account Owner is my father.

Apple: The Apple retail store will have the information needed to pick up your iPhone.

Me: Well I don't want to go there at 5am in the morning on Thursday and wait in line and not be able to get an iPhone because of this. That's why I am trying to get some clarification.

Apple: To be sure, the Apple retail store will need to be contacted directly.

Me: OK, thank you for your time

Apple: The Apple retail store can be contacted by phone.

Apple: You're welcome

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Pay in cash or buy an Apple giftcard in advance.

24. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Why did you continue to push the rep after they told you that you would have toconract the store. You then say you have been on several forums and can't get a firm answer, so why not call the retail store they can give you a firm answer, then u say you don't want to go at 5 am just to get turned down, again call the store you still have 2 days. Get the firm answer. I never go to a forum to get an answer that I am basing real life events or schedules on.

25. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Dude, I just called the Apple Store in San Francisco (I am in Texas so they are still open till 9pm, they just closed)....and even THEY were unable to answer my question. They said I needed to call AT&T to verify that I could buy the phone. I tried calling AT&T and their customer service office is closed now (closes 10pm EST). I am getting really frustrated. The Apple rep at the store told me I SHOULD be able to purchase the phone if I am "Primary Account Holder" and "Retail Authorized User" but since the "Account Owner" is under my dad's name I would need to check with AT&T to see if I am able to purchase the phone. They also said that this might just be the billing address and that I might still be able to purchase the phone with no problems.

On the phone with 3 people AND Apple Chat, 1-800-My-APPLE and NOBODY can give me a firm answer to my question. Damnit.