Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tplaysguitar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hello.

I am running a PC right now, thinking of switching - my grandma got a mac and its like night and day comparing pc and mac. Anyway, my 1TB external hard drive runs NTFS, which Mac OS X cannot write to. And the external hard drive holds my itunes library. So how would I format it or read and write to it from a MacBook Pro? I heard of using MacFuse and NTFS-3G, but can that run in the background (ie, as a driver) so that iTunes can access my drive as its music source? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

-Tristan

Username02

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I would suggest first backing up the hard drive.
Next you should be able to just plug the NTFS hard drive into the mac, go to Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities) and format as OS X Extended.

Then you can restore your files back to the drive.

Have fun with the new Mac!

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I think Username02 missed some of your details about considering a Mac and not owning a Mac. So, formatting the drive as Mac OS Extended (journaled) will do you no good with still using the external drive on a PC.

Yes, those apps are designed to act as a driver, being in the background. I don't use either of those, myself. Instead I run Paragon's NTFS for Mac and it hasn't given me any problems.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
  • Some have had good results with Paragon (approx $20)
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
I heard of using MacFuse and NTFS-3G, but can that run in the background (ie, as a driver) so that iTunes can access my drive as its music source?
Yes, exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.