Using PC133 RAM in a computer that takes PC100

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by riker1384, Nov 10, 2008.

1. riker1384 macrumors regular

If I take PC133 RAM from my eMac and put it into an older eMac that came with PC100 memory, should it work?

Once I tried putting just 1 stick in, and the computer booted up but it didn't recognize the RAM. If I took out all the PC100 and put in 2 sticks (512 + 256) of PC133, then might it work? The newer of the two eMacs dropped dead, so I'm trying to get the older one running well. There's no point in buying more RAM for such an olde computer, though.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It'll work just fine. The RAM will be used at 100MHz.

3. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I installed it and it works. The odd thing is that even though I have plenty of free RAM now, I'm still getting lots of beachballs in Safari.

4. *old-guy* macrumors regular

I asked a similar question a week ago but didn't get a reply so either nobody saw it or nobody knew the answer but I'll try again.
    If a Mac can use either pc100 or pc133 RAM sticks, is it possible to mix them? In other words, will my Mac recognise a 256 chip @ pc 100 + a 512 chip @ pc133 as being a total of 768meg?

5. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that a while back and it didn't work, only the PC100 was recgnized in mine. I only tried it once though, so for all I know I might noe have seatedthe other stick properly, or something.

6. *old-guy* macrumors regular

OK, now I know the answer to my question for sure, at least using MY Pismo and MY 512 mb memory chip. It works. If I click on the little apple at top left of the screen and then on "About this Mac" followed by More info and Memory I see this setup............

Memory slot... Size ..... Type ...... Speed ........ Status
    SODIMM/j2.... 256mb...sdram..... pc100-322s..OK
    SODIMM/j1.... 512mb...sdram..... pc133-333 ..OK

In the "About this Mac" screen, it now shows up as having 768 mb of memory so I'll post this and then change my sig, lol