Using Personal Domain in UK (.co.uk) with 123-Reg

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by adjones, Jul 16, 2008.

1. adjones macrumors member

adjones

Hi all,

I have a personal domain registered through 123-Reg and I want to attach it to my mobileme account (currently on trial).

How do I go about doing this?

2. Olivier macrumors newbie

You cannot set this up with a trial version, at least that's what I learned when I set my site up using .Mac back in the days. Then you need to configure you're 123-reg account so that you host your site on MobileMe (I suggest you browse through the net for iWeb and personal domain, it has something to with changing the CNAME).

Hope this helps.

Ollie

3. kevlong macrumors newbie

When I do this for my host, it is usually just a case of:
    • changing the DNS servers to point to MobileMe
    • Either parking the domain, if you are sharing a web site or creating an addon domain if you want it to operate separately

MobileMe might be a little frendlier as far as understanding the difference between parked and addon, but the DNS servers will need to change at the 123-reg end of things.

Kevlong

4. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Isn't it just a case of logging into MobileMe, clicking your account button and then choosing Personal Domain from the left hand side?

Attached Files:

5. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Yes but I think you have to get your domain supplier to change the CNAME to point to mac.com ( ok ok.... me.com :( )

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It can't be, MX/Name Server records must need to be altered with your registrar.

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I seem to have come across a problem adding my Personal Domain with a .co.uk address..

It keeps spitting out the error:
    1) it IS entered correctly as I can copy/paste it into a web browser and it works fine
    2) the domain name only contains letters
    3) it does include the top level domain (ie, xxxxx.co.uk)

what gives?

EDIT:
    looks like I'm not the only person with the problem
    seems like anything not a .com/.org etc.. is failing the .mac -> .me transition..
    lets hope apple fix it soon

8. GaryMumford macrumors member

Same problem here. I have 2 domains with 123-reg. The .com works perfectly with MobileMe but the .co.uk is a no go! On the up side, I did not have to change anything on 123. it just worked instantly! I was surprised as I thought it would take 24hrs for the domain name server to update. On the down side of MobileMe. It looks as though as well as not allowing .co.uk domains, you can only have 1 domain name assigned to the mobile me account. So if you have paid out for .co.uk, .org, .eu, and .com. you are stuck with just one of them!:(

9. MojoWill macrumors 6502

looks like you can no longer use .co.uk with mobile me however i use to have one set up with .mac

10. Jowl macrumors 6502

Yep, It wouldn't let me use any of my .co.uk addresses either.

Thought it was a CNAME/DNS type error.

11. Abu Tech macrumors member

There is an issue with MobileMe in adding anything other than .com, .net and .org domains. I have one of the new .me TLD and I get the same error as above. I have no idea as to why this is happening as when the service was .mac this was not an issue.

I managed to speak to a support advisor via the chat service yesturday and despite the fact that they had no idea about any of the these problems there is hope if you have a .co.uk domain.

If you go to http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ and under the support options select chat (when its available as more often than not it isnt, and the chat button is greyed out under some sections so just click on it under whichever header you can find it).

Once you manage to speak to a support advisor they can manualy add your .co.uk domain up until :apple: fix the service to work properly!

Hope this helps.

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Good idea.. I shall try this today if they're open for chat..

Thanks for the tip