Using phone charger to charge MacBook Pro?

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Hey guys.

I’m an idiot and left my laptop charger in my apartment while visiting my parents for the weekend. It’s a 2017 MacBook Pro so it supports the usb C charging, but I don’t have the charger block as well

My fathers android uses a USB C plug to charge his phone, along with the fast charger block.

Can I plug my MacBook Pro into it to ATLEAST slow down the battery drainage to last me a weekend? I know that it’s not powerful enough, but will it do anything at all?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
It might just refuse to charge.

My iPad refuse to charge with iPhone charger. I guess because the power is inadequate.

For MacBook Pro, I can't tell...'cause...you know...MagSafe. :)

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
It might refuse to charge or charge reaaaaally slowly... I don't think it will cause any damage though, so give it a shot.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
I did it successfully, it was enough to charge the battery overnight. Not every USB-C charger will work though, some use custom protocols.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
It works!!! But it’s VERY slow! And it only works while the computer is off. If it’s on, it says “not charging”.

So overnight I’ll update how much it charges.

I might purchase this block as well from amazon that’s attached to this post. It’s worth the $19 in my opinion

Attachments

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I use 30w Anker USB C chargers with my 13' MBP all the time. During intensive gaming it can run the battery down but it does a fairly good job. The 12w iPad charger doesn't do a very good job because the voltage is different, it can get really warm.

Usually plugging larger chargers into smaller devices is ok, it is when you plug small chargers into bigger devices that things can get bad (overheating, etc...).

I can plug my 20,000 mAh external battery into my MBP and it will only charge 20-40% because of the voltage difference.

I've seen older 500 mAh cellphone chargers melt when plugged into phones/tablets wanting 2a charges.

I recommend Anker chargers for your MBP. I use them all the time.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I use 30w Anker USB C chargers with my 13' MBP all the time. During intensive gaming it can run the battery down but it does a fairly good job. The 12w iPad charger doesn't do a very good job because the voltage is different, it can get really warm.

Usually plugging larger chargers into smaller devices is ok, it is when you plug small chargers into bigger devices that things can get bad (overheating, etc...).

I can plug my 20,000 mAh external battery into my MBP and it will only charge 20-40% because of the voltage difference.

I've seen older 500 mAh cellphone chargers melt when plugged into phones/tablets wanting 2a charges.

I recommend Anker chargers for your MBP. I use them all the time.
I also like Anker. I have one of their 60W USB-C chargers at my desk. I charge everything from my phone to my 2018 15" MBP with the charger.

Reactions: BigMcGuire