Using photoshop on 2012 MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkcoupon, Aug 8, 2012.

1. darkcoupon, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012

darkcoupon macrumors regular

Hey guys, I was just wondering what kind of experience people are having with PS CS6 or CS5 on the new 13" MBP? I'm a freelance photo retoucher and I'm just looking for a cheap, portable solution to use on the go when I'm traveling or working in a client's office because I'm tired of lugging my Pro all over the place. I've been debating between the new MBP 13" or waiting for a new quad-core Mac Mini, as I imagine the tech specs will be nearly identical to the new 13" MPB. I use a lot of the GPU heavy features in CS6 with some pretty hi res photos, so I just want to know how well the HD4000 graphics are performing with Liquify, Lens Focus, etc...otherwise I'll have to look into a 15".

2. NeonBible macrumors member

The Liquify in CS6 is astonishing! I use Photoshop CS6 with my mid 2012 MacBook Air – which also has the Intel HD 4000 – and it really screams! It all depends on how heavy your works are, of course, but the Intel HD 4000 won't be the optimal choice for 30+ layers, though; more like 15 max. I often use a Wacom tablet to draw hi-res photos in Photoshop, and I noticed some lag with the Intel HD 3000. I have yet to notice lags with the Intel HD 4000. But again, it depends on how heavy your works are.

3. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

The Intel HD4000 is a pretty good GPU in terms of a integrated class. It will do plenty but of course will not handle lots of layers and it depends on how are you using it.

It is on par with the GT330 found on higher end Macbook Pro 15" of 2010. But remember, integrated GPUs are most of the times in disadvantage in all around situations. Still, it is quite powerful.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html

4. darkcoupon thread starter macrumors regular

That's some great info, thank you.

It's good to hear someone is using it with the Macbook Air without many issues, I use intuos tablets too and typically keep my layers below 15-20 so I don't think I should run into many problems. Still, I might wait a month and see what Apple does with the Mac Mini. I'd like to see what kind of dedicated graphics they might use in the mid-level model, if they keep it. Thanks a ton, guys!

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Well, the 15" will give you more screen real estate. I recently posted in the MBA section, made no friends ...., that if you are interested in CS6 & PS and prefer the mobility of the 13" form factor that you wait until the 13" rMBP is introduced. Hopefully, the 13" rMBP will have a 16 GB RAM BTO option which should be a benefit when using PS. And, of course, the retina display.

I can't imagine using a Mac Mini as mobile solution. Have you tried using an iPad as your display when visiting clients? Easy to hold and pass around and the display is very good. I like the iMac and iPad combo but I will be adding a rMBP as well.

6. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

You're welcome. Regarding the GPU for the next Mac Mini I'm guessing it will be the Intel HD 4000 most likely. It is the best for space saving and its very good against others. But you never know what Apple will do. Its always a mistery.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple might add in a discrete class GPU like they have done with the current mini. But you have to pay more.

8. darkcoupon thread starter macrumors regular

Very true, I'm guessing it will be the HD4000 as well, at least for the base model and the server model as those usually have similar specs to the 13" MBP's. The current mid-level Mini has the Radeon 6630M w/ 256mb GDDR5, so I'm crossing my fingers for a new mid-level with some kind of dedicated GPU that has a minimum of 512mb GDDR5, something like the GeForce 650M. But like you said, you never know what Apple will do.

----------

As long as it's under $1000 USD I'm good with that. Otherwise I'd just get a MBP.

9. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I'm not a professional with photography by any means, but I used photoshop on a 13" Pro for editing pictures I used on my website. I had multiple layers out at once and never noticed any slow down. This stayed true when attached to a Cinema Display (24") as well. Don't know if that helps you, but it's my experience.

----------

I've been wondering what, if at all, GPU they would use in the new Mini. What would be the current equivalent of the 6630?

10. darkcoupon thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm considering the Mini because of how easy it is to upgrade the Ram and add/upgrade HDD's. 16gb RAM and a 750gb HDD/256gb SSD combo would be an ideal mobile solution for me, It's just the GPU that is holding me back.

I do use an iPad now for basic client meetings. It's a great way to show off my portfolio and show examples of before/after images for them. Some clients just don't like the idea of me billing them time that they can't personally account for, so they'll ask me to come in and work in their office and it can be a lot of hassle to transport my Pro, my monitor, and any external drives I'd need, not to mention checking all of that stuff onto an airplane. I would like to see what the 13" rMBP will offer, that could be a great solution if they do offer 16gb RAM and a decent GPU.

11. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I see with the Mac Mini its not portability you're looking at. Why not try the iMac. It has a very accessible RAM compartment. Also GPU is a lot better and, well actually this is not a plus but, HDD (never tried upgrading it) comes in very good size and speed. Plus there is a dual drive config but not sure if its across the entire lineup.

12. darkcoupon thread starter macrumors regular

It mostly is the portability of the Mini that makes me consider it. It would be much easier to pack up my thunderbolt display and a Mini or a MBP on a trip than it is with my Pro. You have a great point with the iMac, I just want to keep it under $1500.