Using PkgBkup after updating to new OS & JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jacobp, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jacobp macrumors member

I have gone through a few OS upgrades on my iphone and then JBing the phone with no problem. The problem that I always have is getting my Cydia apps back on the phone. For example, I had a JB iphone 4 running iOS 4.01. And then when the JB for 4.1 came out I used Pwnage to upgrade to 4.1 JB. While my appstore apps come back, my cydia apps do not.

Here's the procedure I used, please help.

While still on 4.01 JB, I use PkgBackup to backup the apps. I then sync with itunes. I also right click on the iphone in Devices in itunes and backup the device again (just to be sure).

I then ran Pwnage successfully to get to 4.1 JB. When itunes asks if this is a new install or if I want to restore using the last backup, I choose restore from backup. That gets me all of my appstore apps.

I then download PkgBackup through Cydia. At that point, PkgBackup shows nothing to "restore." I then sync again with itunes, but I stll don't get my PkgBakcup restore entries. What am I doing wrong?

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

The sequence is correct. Pkgbackup creates an entry in your contacts file, so be sure you are syncing your contacts when you backup. If you don't do that it won't work.

When you restore, many writ say restore as new and then just sync with iTunes to get your apps, music, contacts, etc back.

When you install Pkgbackup on your upgraded iOS, make sure the bottom section that says "Backup as of..." has x of x packages listed. It may say 0 of 69 for example. You need to hit the right arrow and highlight all packages. Then you'll see 69 of 69 packages (in this example)

Then you can click "restore"

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have to sync your contacts back to your phone (that is where PkgBackup stores it's data) Once you do this, PkgBackup can run and do the re-install.

4. jacobp thread starter macrumors member

What is the best way to do that? I use Entourage for my contacts.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sorry, I use Address Book, no idea about Entourage.

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

And I use MS Exchange. Sorry no help.