Using Presonus Firepod as audio-out with Reason

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BreederCreature, Apr 15, 2007.

1. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

I recently burnt out the headphone jack on my MacBook (I was using a converter to run my macbook through the headphone jack to my guitar amp in order to use my midi controller while using Garage Band) and have recently found out that that's a bad idea. So I plan on using my band's Presonus Firepod live.

Anyway, I recently bought Reason and want to use the Firepod's headphone jack to listen through headphones until I get my MacBook fixed. I have it hooked up through firewire and changed the audio output in the macbook's preferences to the firepod. So any sound from my MacBook comes out in my headphones through the firepod, but when I play anything in Reason, it still comes out the MacBook speakers.

I went to the audio preferences in Reason, but only the built in audio is available.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get Reason to play through the Firepod so I can listen with headphones until I get my MacBook headphone jack fixed.

Thanks!

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

You did try re-starting Reason with the Firepod hooked up, right?

In my experience Reason is fairly slow at detecting new hardware when the program is running. I have even had to do a computer restart sometimes in order to get Reason to find hardware (it hates my MicroKontrol for some reason).

Also, sometimes the settings in Audio MIDI Setup get borked, and strangely enough, just re-selecting the correct option sometimes fixes it.

3. BreederCreature thread starter macrumors member

BreederCreature

i turned the firepod on before turning my macbook on and it worked. thanks!

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

No problem. I think the Firepod has some issues sometimes because it runs off Core Audio (no external drivers) and sometimes a bit of hardware-restarting seems to wake it up.