Using Preview to edit PDFs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ISJB, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ISJB macrumors member

So, I need to add 5 blank pages at the end of a PDF. I select the last page of the PDF (on the sidebar/thumbnail), and click Edit -> Insert Blank Page, but the page goes above my last page! Like if I have 3 pages on my PDF, I select the thumbnail for page number 3 and add a new blank (hoping it'll be number 4), but it ends up going between page 2 and 3!
    Then I try to move them around by dragging the thumbnails, but can't! Any suggestions how to do this?

Btw, I can't just add 5 blank pages after printing, they MUST be inside the PDF beforehand

2. simsaladimbamba, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Then drag them to the bottom of the Sidebar and delete the blank page above the not empty page.

Here is how I can do it:

3. ISJB, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

ISJB thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I can't drag pages! Any of them, anywhere. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong; I've never tried this before..

EDIT:
    Alright, thanks! Will try that now :)

Also, if I join many PDFs in one, I can just print them all together right?

They look like this in the thumbnail:

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

Does it work then? If not, what Mac OS X version do you use?

Yes, that will work too.

5. ISJB thread starter macrumors member

I can't seem to get it work! (the page-moving I mean)

My Mac is 10.6.8 and Preview is version 5

6. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.Preview.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

7. Wardoner macrumors newbie

I've gone through the same crazy search for a good PDF editing program for my mac 10.7 Lion, but never found a free one that could really help including Preview. Ended up going with PDF Studio, and it has definitely been a good move. Pretty cheap at $49 compared to Acrobat's $450!! Unlike Preview, this is an actual PDF Editor that I like to use to type text into PDF documents. I've also used it to add internal links back into my documents that didn't take when I convert word documents to PDF. They do a free trial version so you can test it out before you buy it, and it seems to be compatible with Mountain Lion macs. Website is http://www.videotoflashmac.com/pdf-editor-for-mac/. Good luck!