Using proximity sensor to keep screen off

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by zorinlynx, Jun 9, 2015.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

So, about this blurb...

"Thanks to ambient light and proximity sensors, your iPhone knows if it’s facedown on the table and prevents the screen from turning on, even when you receive a notification."

How well does this feature work? I'm curious if it only works when the phone is facedown on a table or if it works in pockets too?

There's never any reason to turn on the screen when notifications go off in your pocket. This has the potential to save a lot of battery life for those of us who get a lot of "noiseless" notifications. (Foursquare checkins, Telegram group messages, etc.)

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

After doing much work with the proximity sensor, I can say this would work very easily with being facedown OR in your pocket.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Good to hear. Sounds like if there's something covering the screen in some way then likely it can stay off when a notification comes in.

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

The possible applications are actually much wider than this (i.e. turning on and off a device via the sensor) and surprisingly easy to remove false positives, so I'm fairly optimistic about this feature being implemented successfully.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The interesting thing is that this is all really based on what has been in the devices since long ago (unless I'm missing something)--could have been a feature that was added back in iOS 5 even probably.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yep. The possibility has been around for quite sometime