Using PS3 with Apple Cinema HD 23" Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brian82788, Nov 3, 2011.

?

Will this work?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get an Xbox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brian82788 macrumors member

Hi,
    I am considering purchasing a Playstation 3 (PS3) gaming console in the next few months; but I am wondering how this will work with my Apple Cinema HD 23" Display. I do not own a television and do not want to buy one; so this is why I'm considering this solution. The display accepts DVI input only however this can be easily solved using one of the many HDMI to DVI converters. However the PS3 system only supports resolutions as high as 1080p (1920x1080) and the Display has a resolution of 1920x1200. Is it possible to scale the resolution to full screen or will I just have to use it with black areas at the top and bottom (which isn't the worst thing in the world); also are there any other problems you think might occur? Does anyone have any experience with this or maybe have the same setup.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. brian82788 thread starter macrumors member

Seriously?
    185 views and no responses; come help me out here guys.

3. gilgalad101 macrumors newbie

gilgalad101

I believe Atlona makes a couple of converters/scalers that would do what you're looking for. They have an HDMI/DVI Scaler with Analog/Digital Audio that would do both the converting and scaling for you, or a DVI UP/Down Scaler/Converter, which would just scale the DVI resolution. I checked the specs on both of those, and it looks like they both support 1080p and 1920x1200, but I have no clue how well they would work in practice. Atlona's stuff is a little more expensive, so there may be cheaper ways to do this that I'm not aware of, but I just wanted to let you know that it's possible.

4. NutsNGum, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

As gilgalad101 pointed out, there are scalers available to stretch the image out, but they tend to run pretty high in price. My suggestion, try it. If you can live with the bars, then it's all good. If you decide you need a full screen solution, for the price of an Atlona product you could pick up a dedicated LCD monitor with native 1080p resolution.

Edit: One thing you might find is that the ACD's response time may be too slow for gaming, so an LCD with a faster response time might suit your needs better.