Using push with multiple services

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karohan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

Is there any extra battery loss by using Push for multiple services or just one (e.g. using it for multiple apps vs. using it for just email)? And is this battery loss linear/very significant? I don't want to waste too much battery using Push with too many services, but I also don't mind using marginally more battery.

2. iMclightning macrumors newbie

Look at it this way, say your a Magazine company....and you have 1 subscriber....every so often you push a magzine to them so they can read it....then a few more people decide to subscribe to your magzine.

Instead of pushing 1 magazine every so often you'll have to push much more to satisfy your customer:O

So yeah It'll eat a bit of battery if your pushing for alot of apps, not so much if it's 1 or 2.

3. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Using that analogy though, it costs a lot less per magazine being sent if that company sends it to more people than less (economies of scale). I'm not sure if I'm phrasing this right, but if you think about push with just email eating up the battery 15% quicker, will using another 3 or 4 apps bump it up to 20% or something like 30-35%. It's hard to quantify for sure, but I could deal with 5% more as opposed to 15-20% more.

4. iMclightning macrumors newbie

I'm not so sure myself because I don't really use push, but you could give it a little test run to see how your battery goes?

Try using only 1 application with push and see how much it drains then try more and see what number of apps you can push with without major battery loss:)

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think there is more battery usage with more push services because each push wakes up the phone for like 5 minutes and loads the app, maybe even in the foreground.