Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
If I want to jailbreak an iPhone 3G with 2.1 firmware, running OSX, is it currently possible to do this with QuickPwn, or do I need to use Pwnage? As far as I can see QuickPwn 2.1 only works on Windows, but I just wanted to make sure that was the case. Thanks.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
If I want to jailbreak an iPhone 3G with 2.1 firmware, running OSX, is it currently possible to do this with QuickPwn, or do I need to use Pwnage? As far as I can see QuickPwn 2.1 only works on Windows, but I just wanted to make sure that was the case. Thanks.

Ya it looks that way. You need to have 2.0.2 to use quickpwn with OSX.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
PwnageTool works. Or, just create a small virtual machine (or boot camp) using a 30 day trial of fusion or parallels. and then install quickpwn, jailbreak and remove the virtual machine. :D

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
PwnageTool works. Or, just create a small virtual machine (or boot camp) using a 30 day trial of fusion or parallels. and then install quickpwn, jailbreak and remove the virtual machine. :D

Not sure if this is what it meant but when i used quickpwn it said will not work in virtual enviorments so I don't think that will work.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I actually have a BootCamp partition on my mac, so I could do it under Windows. However my understanding is that I have to connect to the iPhone with iTunes in order to use QuickPwn, and if I connect it to my Windows iTunes it will want to overwrite the iPhone's contents won't it? Or is it enough to just have iTunes present to use QuickPwn?

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Thanks for the responses. I actually have a BootCamp partition on my mac, so I could do it under Windows. However my understanding is that I have to connect to the iPhone with iTunes in order to use QuickPwn, and if I connect it to my Windows iTunes it will want to overwrite the iPhone's contents won't it? Or is it enough to just have iTunes present to use QuickPwn?

As long as you don't have sync automaticly checked in itunes you should be fine. If it does start to sync just cancel it.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I did this yesterday on a 3g iPhone running the latest firmware, it went smooth with QuickPwn. Process took about 10mins total, that's only because of the time it took to build the package and install it and reboot..

I did it on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.5. using quickpwn version 1.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.