Using RAID 1 On Scratch Disk Okay?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac In School, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've been an iMovie 08 user in the past. Now I'm moving up to the newest version of Final Cut Studio.

I'm a freak about making sure my stuff is backed up, but I hate backing up. So RAID 1 is my best friend. I'm really into the LaCie 2BigTriple hard drives.

If I set this to "Safe" (hardware RAID 1) mode, and plug it in to a FW 800 port, will I be okay, or will the mirrored RAID slow it down too much?

Right now I'm working with an SD MiniDV camcorder. I plan to step up to something like a HF100 in the future for HD. Actually, if the camera I choose supports it, I'll probably stick with 720 HD.

What do you think?

Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

RAID 1 provides redundancy, not a real back up, and I wouldn't trust LaCie for editing as they are notorious for enclosure failures. RAID 1 will keep you from having down time if a disk fails, but it will not help you out if you accidentally delete a file or a power surge fries your setup.

Lethal

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not really looking for backup protection from accidental deletion, etc. Just from hardware failure.

Brand aside, how do you feel about redundant RAID for editing?

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

What about a raid 5? I'm not sure if it would be a good choice but the new Drobo has FW800. For back up it gets praised but I'm not entirely sure about it's ability for a scratch disk.

What type of Mac are you using?

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm probably going to be using a 15" MBP w/ a 512 MB video card. Either current gen, or previous.

6. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Any other thoughts on video editing with mirrored raid?

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I was under the impression that the whole purpose of a scratch disk was for storing temporary (program swap) files, why would you want to have redundancy here? I would just go with RAID 0 and leverage its additional speed.