Using Regular Expression

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by at0m87, Apr 2, 2012.

1. at0m87 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i am trying to sieve out the username and text fields of a HTML Form loading in a web view. Previously i tried this method to narrow down the corresponding text fields that i need but it was tedious and there is no end to the computation of variables. even though i thought i listed out a lot of variables, it was still a hit and miss solution, not all website works.

Code:
    NSString *loadUsrText = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"var inputFields = document.querySelectorAll(\"input[type='text']\"); \
                                         for (var i = inputFields.length >>> 0; i--;) { \
                                     if ( (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'email') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Email') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'e-mail') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'E-mail') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'emailerr') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'UID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'uid') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'username') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Username') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'userName') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'user_name') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'User_Name') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'User_name') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'userid') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'userID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'UserID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Userid') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'ID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'id') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'j_username') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'session_key') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'login_password') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'liveid') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Liveid') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'liveID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'LiveID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'liveID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'LiveID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'live_id') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Live_id') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'live_ID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Live_ID') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Live') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'live') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'live_email') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Live_email') || (inputFields[i].getAttribute('name') == 'Live_Email')){ \
                                     inputFields[i].value = '%@';}}", myUsername];
    [self.myWebView stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString: loadUsrText];
    Then i was told about RegularExpression but i wasn't very familiar with it and i read some tutorials about it but not specific to my project to try and get what it means and i piece out this code which is also a hit and miss solution. I am not even sure if i am doing it right but the code is definitely short this time for sure.

Code:
    NSString *loadUsrText = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"var inputFields = document.querySelectorAll(\"input[type='text']\"); \
                                     for (var i = inputFields.length >>> 0; i--;) { \
                                        regStr = /(mail|user|iden|name|id|key|login|username|email)/i; \
                                        searchName = inputFields[i].getAttribute('name').search(regStr);\
                                        searchId = inputFields[i].getAttribute('id').search(regStr);\
                                        if (!(searchName == -1) || !(searchId == -1)){ \
                                            inputFields[i].value = '%@';}}", myUsername];
    [self.myWebView stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString: loadUsrText];
    Can someone tell me if i have done this RegularExpression correctly? i really have no idea. Some sites it works, some it doesn't.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

For the ones it doesn't work, what are the input fields' name attributes? If they're not "mail" or "user" or "iden" or "name" or "id" or "key" or "login" or "username" or "email", which is what you appear to be searching for, they won't be matched.

I don't think you're going to be able to find a way to detect what you want across all sites, since there is no guaranteed consistency in how the HTML for these is constructed.

3. at0m87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You dejo!

It happened that one of the site that didn't work, the name attribute was set as "name='email'" which was one of my search variables. That is what is puzzling me and made me feel that i may have some mistake in the code.