Using RipIt Version 1.3.3 and won't play in iTunes 9.0.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aznmenace, Dec 20, 2009.

1. aznmenace macrumors newbie

Title says it all. I was using HandBrake (0.9.4 i386z) but ran into problems with security features. Based on a thread I made, I switched to RipIt (1.3.3) and it's working great but is saving movies as files only playable by DVD Player 5.2. I'm running OS 10.6.2

I'd like to have the ability to play within iTunes (9.0.2) and/or QuickTime (10.0) and my iPhone 3G. Ideas on how to get this done? I've looked for settings within RipIt but could not find any.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

RipIt just rips the DVD to a file. It doesn't encode it like Handbrake can. If you want to play it on your iPhone/iTunes you still need to use Handbrake after you've ripped the DVD. Just have Handbrake open the RipIt file instead of the DVD. I'm doing this with 64bit Handbrake as 64bit VLC isn't out yet and is required for Handbrake to rip DVDs.

3. aznmenace thread starter macrumors newbie

What specific setting(s) would you suggest for HandBrake that maximizes playback quality while balancing time? At this point, I'm not concerned about size of the files.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Honestly I just use the presets. Right now, I only encode for my iPhone and I change only the bitrate setting (from 65% quality to constant bitrate of 900kbps which looks fantastic). File size is usually 1GB or a little over. On a 2.16 C2D MacBook it takes about 1.5hrs to encode (2 with rip time).

5. aznmenace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I recoded it using HandBrake and it worked like a charm! For some reason they aren't getting sync'd to my iPhone but that is probably just a setting I need to figure out. Quicktime is playing them and iTunes was able to pick them up into the media library. Thanks for the help guys!

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You sure it was Ripit 1.3.3? Latest I see is 1.3.2 on the developer's web site.

7. aznmenace thread starter macrumors newbie

I just rechecked what version and it is indeed 1.3.3

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Yep...according to MacUpdate 1.3.3 is out...but if you go to the developer's site, the "what's new" only goes up to 1.3.2. Thanks for the heads up...

9. rk1991 macrumors regular

actually vlc 1.0.2 is 64bit while 1.0.3 is not..try 1.0.2 and it will work