Using RipIt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dtoa, Jun 14, 2010.

1. dtoa macrumors newbie

Could anyone please help me with RipIt? I am trying to transfer DVDs to Itunes and am having some difficulty. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I have looked but have not found any. The instructions are probablly out there, but I am tired, this is my first mac, and I have been trying hard to figure out many things. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

skip ripit and use handbrake if your end result is to get them to be itunes friendly files

ripit merely gives you an exact dvd rip. This rip is not itunes compatible but is playable with the DVD app

Handbrake will encode the dvd to a file that itunes can use.

Personally, if I had a lot of DVDs, I would rip them with ripit, then que them up in handbrake for encoding. If I had a few, I would just use handbrake and not ripit

3. dtoa thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you Dukebound85. I really appreciate the fast response. Once I use Handbrake, is it fairly easy to move that file to Itunes?

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

if you Compress the DVD you can save it to a number of settings. Go into Preferences and choose Compress

Edit** I use MP4 setting and it looks great...

5. dtoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you jonbravo77. I am compressing it now with Ripit. Do I just move the compressed file to Itunes? Thanks again for your help.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Go into iTunes and Add to Library under File

7. dtoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonbravo,

I have compressed it, and I have gone to Itunes and tried to use add to library and chosen the zip file, but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not sure how it came out to be a zip file. I don't have an option to zip it. You used RipIt to compress the DVD? THis is an image of Compressing using RipIt. While RipIt is open, Under File > Preferences > Compress Tab. Under General you can choose where to save it.

Attached Files:

9. dtoa thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently using the trial version of Ripit. When I choose compress, as it is compressing, it shows that it is doing so into a zip format. It states "preparing to compress to 'DVDname'.zip". Not sure what I am doing wrong.

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not sure either, only thing I can think of is that the trial version won't do what I can do. So either buy it or use Handbrake. sorry

11. dtoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jon. I think I have found the problem. I was not using ripit compress but rather using imovie compress (at least I think so). I am trying again right now. Thanks for all your help.

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

No problem. RipIt is worth it, very easy to use.

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

There are other apps aside from Handbrake. I use DVDremaster pro. Handbrake seems really slow. Maybe I'm not using it properly...

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How are you using DVD remaster pro? Are you comapring rip times to encode times?

OP: I would definitly use handbrake over rip it as it provides sooooo much more options in how you want to encode your file

15. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I decode with RipIt, which gives the .dvdmedia extension. Then I just open that in Handbrake. Works great. Handbrake isn't really designed for decoding DVD encryption.

From Handbrake's website:

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I use DVDremaster Pro to encode the rip from ripit. I have always found that the encode time is fast with DVD remaster pro, that's all I'm saying.