Using rMB on desktop vs laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ct1211, May 1, 2015.

1. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I have had a 1.3 rMB four days now. When I first tried this computer in the store on a table I realized the new short travel keyboard could speed up my sloppy typing. My issue, I carry a small light computer and 90% of the time I use it on my LAP.

Anyone else realizing that when you start banging away on a 2lb slippery laptop while its in your lap the thing starts jumping and sliding like crazy?

The new keyboard action is almost a tactile "button click" you press a bit harder than on say my rMBP. Hard to describe but if I lighten up on the press' they dont always register (like not clicking in) if that makes any sense.

When I am at a desk or other solid surface I am flying on the keyboard as long as it is directly in front of me and I'm sitting up straight. Remember the teacher that would scold you for using poor typing posture?

Also the keyboard is rather loud in a quiet room. the keys make a solid noise when pressed.

All that aside, I plan to spend my weekend computer time with it and see if I adjust better to the slipping around. Velcro the bottom maybe.

Other than that, if you're considering a 1.3 and are concerned about spending extra for the slight speed dump, don't near worthless speed test numbers fool you! This thing flys!

Side by side with my 1 month old rMBP maxed with i7/16/500 - they are very close for everyday lifting!

Right now although I want to keep this baby, the lack of available Dongles is a bummer. I have not yet committed to the monthly recurring revenue model of iCloud etc. and I need many connections for the variety of monitors i encounter out in the field.

2. Dayv macrumors 6502

It's a very light computer, so it moves around freely on a soft surface like a lap or the side of an armchair. I've learned to press the heel of one hand down a bit to stabilize it.