Using router as a network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashjamben, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

So this is the scenario: i have a BT home hub wireless router. My macbook connects to it wirelessly and my old PC connects via USB.

So i noticed that when i click 'open' on certain programs on my macbook, on the left hand side of the box under the 'shared' option comes up with a picture of a computer called 'thomson'. this seemed strange, as i don't know what thomson could be. I then remembered reading about the BT home hub being a redesigned thomson router. ah! I can't access anything by clicking on it tho, but is there a way of sharing files with my laptop and PC using the router?

thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, you generally can. I'm not so familiar with devices that acquire internet via USB, but basically, Windows, OS X, etc, all have system preferences related to local file sharing. If you turn on Windows file sharing, for instance, then you should be able to mount the Windows share folders on the Mac and read/write them over the net. You can likewise allow access to the Mac drive over the network.