Using s-video/composite video (from external camera) as a webcam in Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacoMan, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MacoMan macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I have one question regarding s-video/composite input to my macbook pro or imac 27!

i have one video device (a specialized video recordings device for our experiments) with only S-Video/Composite out! I would like to stream this video directly to my mac (real time) and then use this as webcam stream (instead of isight) during our ichat conversations.

is there a quick sloution?

i actually once did it (2 years ago) but totally forgot which device/convertor i used!

thanks for your help!

-M

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I know if you hook up a camera via FireWire it will work. I'm not sure how to use a camera that only has S-Video. Actually are you SURE it only has S-video out? I bet it has FW (DV-out).

3. MacoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply!
    I am 100% sure that it has only s-video and composite in/out! actually it is a video conferencing device with an integrated camera! It gives you an oppertunity to use the video stream on your computer but with only 2 channels (s-video and composite)!

cheers,
    -M

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You'll need something to digitize the video, since S-video is analogue. Odds are, if you don't have a device already, it would be much cheaper just to buy a USB webcam.

5. MacoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately i HAVE TO use that integrated camera:( it is part of the setup!

do you have any idea about any such device (from digitizing video and then viewing it live in mac)? affordable?

6. MacoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

7. MacoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot! Elegato looks good!

so the stream which i get by the device should work as my webcam..right?

8. DaveVan macrumors newbie

MacoMan,

Did you manage to get this to work?

Thanks,

DaveVan

9. nsputnik macrumors newbie

The Elegato is not recognized as a web cam. It only works with the included software as a recorder.